Captive Bred Mandarin Dragonet safe to put into my main display?

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently adopted a splendid mandarin dragonet (captive bred) from a reefer that was moving states and had to get rid of their fish. It is 2 months old and is till only 2cm long. I have TTM'd him and got him in an acclimation 'cage' but I am worried that he isn't able to feed properly without scouring rockwork for food. I want to be able to take him out of the cage and put him in the main display so he can hunt but I am a bit worried that my other bigger fish may bully him.

Current Fishlist:

2 x Clownfish
2 x Royal Gramma
1 x Bicolor Blenny
1 x Blue Chromi
1 x Powder Blue Tang (10-15cm)
1 x Purple Tang (10-15cm)
1 x Bristletooth Tang (5-10cm)
1 x Australian Stripey (10-15cm)
1 x Banana Wrasse (5-10cm)
1 x Melanurus Wrasse (5-7cm)

Tank is 200gallon with heaps of rockwork to hide in.

Does anyone have experience with a dragonet, or specifically a dragonet with these fish? If it is too risky I will be setting up a seperate system just for him, but want to avoid this if possible.

Tank.jpg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be extremely cautious with the stripey, yes these fish have bad slime coats however that doesn’t stop them from being predated on however it doesn’t stop them from being stressed out. A tang will possibly ignore the mandarin but I’d still be cautious.

Blazinlawn2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin in my 180 tank with purple tang, lawnmower blenny, 2 clown fish, leopard wrasse, 6 line wrasse, goat fish, midas blend, snowflake eel and file fish. Not a single fish pays any attention to the mandarin, he just hunts the rockwork all day without anyone bullying him.

OP
OP
P

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be extremely cautious with the stripey, yes these fish have bad slime coats however that doesn’t stop them from being predated on however it doesn’t stop them from being stressed out. A tang will possibly ignore the mandarin but I’d still be cautious.
Yeah he is my biggest concern. He was always the most aggressive but I believe it was more curiosity. He has REALLY mellowed out in the last 6 months and doesn't bother anyone at all anymore.

OP
OP
P

pude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mandarin in my 180 tank with purple tang, lawnmower blenny, 2 clown fish, leopard wrasse, 6 line wrasse, goat fish, midas blend, snowflake eel and file fish. Not a single fish pays any attention to the mandarin, he just hunts the rockwork all day without anyone bullying him.
That is very comforting to hear, and also how I would expect it to play out. Thanks for the comment.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back