Captive bred Pajama Cardinal disease or stress ID

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of a newly added fish. Captive bred pajama cardinal from live aquaria just arrived and introduced yesterday. I always quarantine but this was a gift and I don’t have any of my quarantine tanks available as I just moved. He darted straight into a large maxi mini immediately after being released from my acclimation box. I had to get him unstuck by hand. Is this something like brook or just a response to the anemone sting? Tank is a very established 150 reef with a pair of 8 year old clowns and a fire fish added at the same time as the cardinals. Also a gift so no quarantine. Thankful for any help

1805476C-716E-4153-970A-67888D6FDB7B.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it looked like that out of the shipping bag, then it was probably shipping damage/stress. Do you know the bag water salinity versus your tank's salinity?

My guess is though that it got hit by the anemone. If it was stuck bad enough that you had to remove it, that could cause that damage.

Either way, its really to soon for a bacterial disease to show up with that much fin damage, so I would say it is one of those first two items. No treatment other than supportive care - keep the lights dim and perhaps put it back into some floating net container so it won't get injured by the anemone again.

Jay

OP
OP
JTreef

JTreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked perfect out of the bag. Not sure on the salinity difference. Probably was some difference there. He was stuck, felt like Velcro getting him out even though only 2-3 seconds max.
I’m thinking what you are. I’ll keep an eye on him. Maxi mini is in the acclimation box now so no contact possible. On the flip side the anemone looks very happy

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back