Captive bred Pinnatus Batfish - Has anyone had luck raising one?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are raised mostly in Japan as a food fish but are available about once a year in the trade, I have an opportunity to bring some in and I'm really looking to see if anyone has had success with them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

There are raised mostly in Japan as a food fish but are available about once a year in the trade, I have an opportunity to bring some in and I'm really looking to see if anyone has had success with them.
It would be interesting to have a group of them - Its not clear whether you're asking has anyone had them spawn - or whether anyone has had one survive. For me Spawn - no. Raise yes. If you want please PM me for the source as I would love to buy several

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be interesting to have a group of them - Its not clear whether you're asking has anyone had them spawn - or whether anyone has had one survive. For me Spawn - no. Raise yes. If you want please PM me for the source as I would love to buy several
Raise not Spawn, I have a source that I can buy lots of 3, 6, & 12, I'm thinking of bringing in 3 for me, school them together in my end tank 140 gallons then split them between the 2 end tanks and then 1 in the reef as they grow and settle.....If they do. :p.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Raise not Spawn, I have a source that I can buy lots of 3, 6, & 12, I'm thinking of bringing in 3 for me, school them together in my end tank 140 gallons then split them between the 2 end tanks and then 1 in the reef as they grow and settle.....If they do. :p.
If you want PM me - I have an idea

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Raising them is incredibly difficult, these aren’t like the average fish that is easy to raise from young to adult. They are susceptible to disease, get incredibly tall (Think of how long they get and then make that a square, that’s around about their height). An estimate is they’ll get 18x18 inches.
They are also difficult to settle due to how susceptible to disease and stress they are. Once they age, they don’t often do well as singles and do best as mature adults. If your 14’ tank was a full tank then you may get away with it however due to it being 3 tanks merged into one, I recommend against it.

I know many disagree with how most Aquariums keep their fish however, if you go to any aquarium then they’re bound to have a group of these in a 20’ (ish) tank. That’s where you will truly see their activity.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are cool fish, I tried way back in the early 70’s when I shouldn’t have. It didn’t survive very long. But I always thought it is one of the wildest fish.
I would consider trying if I had a really large tank.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raising them is incredibly difficult, these aren’t like the average fish that is easy to raise from young to adult. They are susceptible to disease, get incredibly tall (Think of how long they get and then make that a square, that’s around about their height). An estimate is they’ll get 18x18 inches.
They are also difficult to settle due to how susceptible to disease and stress they are. Once they age, they don’t often do well as singles and do best as mature adults. If your 14’ tank was a full tank then you may get away with it however due to it being 3 tanks merged into one, I recommend against it.

I know many disagree with how most Aquariums keep their fish however, if you go to any aquarium then they’re bound to have a group of these in a 20’ (ish) tank. That’s where you will truly see their activity.
Have you raised captive bred Pinnatus ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you raised captive bred Pinnatus ?
I haven’t raised one in my own aquarium however I did try to raise one in the main display at an old LFS I worked in. I managed to raise 1 in that tank after going through 3-4 specimens.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t raised one in my own aquarium however I did try to raise one in the main display at an old LFS I worked in. I managed to raise 1 in that tank after going through 3-4 specimens.
Captive bred or wild caught ? How long ago ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred or wild caught ? How long ago ?
We don’t get many CB fish so this was a WC specimen. I believe we had 2-3 CB specimens come in later on though.
I believe it was around 5-6 years ago when I grew out the WC one.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred Harlequin Tusk, Regal Angelfish, and Pinnatus Batfish coming tomorrow. See video

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/S2-PtJ1X3c8

A4AB0BCF-FD73-4909-B8E5-7D8AA845B4BD.jpeg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are all here and eating frozen Mysys, gut loaded spiraling brine shrimp !!!
man are they beautiful
2F5FDE94-1784-44E8-A295-667060FFF455.jpeg

8D3F8F19-5573-4AAD-B7A4-E1E20672F214.jpeg

3E0F702D-5802-4D1E-8513-728340D3234F.jpeg
Good luck with that regal!
Hopefully she remains a yellow belly and not go into a grey belly.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back