caralline algae turning white?

STEVEN ADAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all about two weeks ago I got a tank used from a guy that was well established. pretty much all of the live rock had great coralline algae grown on it. I has been a couple of weeks and I am struggling with some brown algae. people keep telling me its normal after a tank move. I have now noticed that it appears to be turning white in many areas. maybe I am not remermbing correctly but there was not any white areas when I first moved the tank over. what is this? I have done two water changes since I got the tank. phosphate 0 Nitrate as high as 5 at one point ammonia 0. My calcium is like 600 which I know is higher than desired. Also when I moved the tank in I was able to transport more than 30 gallons of original water tank is 35 gallon.

20180418_195030.jpeg

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it’s going through a mini cycle due to the disruption. The coralline is dying off due to the chemistry imbalances.

It should come back once everything stabilizes.

OP
OP
STEVEN ADAMS

STEVEN ADAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely it’s going through a mini cycle due to the disruption. The coralline is dying off due to the chemistry imbalances.

It should come back once everything stabilizes.
ok for sure I am still having trouble keeping it stable. I am new to saltwater.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, makes sense then. Coralline algae, especially the nice purple stuff requires pretty much the same parameters and stability as corals do.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if live rock stays out of the water to long during the move coralline algae will die off and bleach over time.it doesn't have to totally dry out for this to happen.how does the algae on the glass look if it had it before the move?if that looks the same that's probably the issue.it will grow back over time.
you do need to get that cal.down to around 450 or so.if your dosing 2 part you may want to back off on it by half and test in a week or so.

OP
OP
STEVEN ADAMS

STEVEN ADAMS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if live rock stays out of the water to long during the move coralline algae will die off and bleach over time.it doesn't have to totally dry out for this to happen.how does the algae on the glass look if it had it before the move?if that looks the same that's probably the issue.it will grow back over time.
you do need to get that cal.down to around 450 or so.if your dosing 2 part you may want to back off on it by half and test in a week or so.
I have not dosed any more calcium in atleast a week. the algae on the back glass was mostly purple and green also on the side walls. I cleaned all the algae off the side walls so I could view from them. maybe that has caused algae growth? but it is all brown now.

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your Ca, Mg and kH and keep these constant and at the right level. It will come back, but swings in these and salinity can cause the coraline to bleach.

Back