OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I didn’t mention because it wasn’t pertaining to stability, is the higher potential for a tank leak with a calcium reactor. After having a $17k wood floor bill after a previous tank leak years ago, I’m always concerned about how a leak might occur. With my calcium reactor, there are 2 potential areas for tank water to leak into the stand and eventually on the floor. The reactor itself or plumbing to and from the reactor can leak, and it isn’t in a sump so it will go everywhere quickly. The masterflex tubing could also crack at the pump and create a leak.

I have dedicated 2 leak detection sensors to these areas, and even have my masterflex head perched over a 1 gallon critter keeper container with one of those sensors.

A dosing setup on the other hand may malfunction and cause a small leak, or may dose more or less of an element into the tank which could kill livestock...but the dangers of a catastrophic leak are much smaller than that of my reactor. I would rather lose my livestock than have to deal with another 20k house repair bill and the wrath of my wife if that happened again!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I didn’t mention because it wasn’t pertaining to stability, is the higher potential for a tank leak with a calcium reactor. After having a $17k wood floor bill after a previous tank leak years ago, I’m always concerned about how a leak might occur. With my calcium reactor, there are 2 potential areas for tank water to leak into the stand and eventually on the floor. The reactor itself or plumbing to and from the reactor can leak, and it isn’t in a sump so it will go everywhere quickly. The masterflex tubing could also crack at the pump and create a leak.

I have dedicated 2 leak detection sensors to these areas, and even have my masterflex head perched over a 1 gallon critter keeper container with one of those sensors.

A dosing setup on the other hand may malfunction and cause a small leak, or may dose more or less of an element into the tank which could kill livestock...but the dangers of a catastrophic leak are much smaller than that of my reactor. I would rather lose my livestock than have to deal with another 20k house repair bill and the wrath of my wife if that happened again!

What a nightmare to happen once, which is more than enough. This build is really coming along nicely. I also like the red with the white plumbing. Looks sharp.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a nightmare to happen once, which is more than enough. This build is really coming along nicely. I also like the red with the white plumbing. Looks sharp.
Thanks!

Yes, had a plumbing issue that started overnight on a 180g tank I had built into the wall. Fortunately it was a slow leak and I only lost about 8-10g of water, but by the time I woke up the water had spread from my office down the main hallway and into other rooms. The manufacturer didn’t make that would anymore, so we had to have ALL of our wood replaced in the house. Ended up selling that tank, but the wife told me to stay in the hobby so a I just downsized to a 30g for a while. Now we are in a new house, and I am making extra efforts to contain any potential disasters! Wife was cool about it once, but I don’t expect the same treatment if something else happened!

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the leak aspect, I have sensors around my CaRx as well that will shut it down if it leaks, thus resulting in only a minor amount of water getting out. The bottom of my stand is sealed so it will contain what leaks (if it were to leak).

What media & salt did you use. I'm perplexed about the rising Calcium.

Anyway, build looks awesome! I love 80/20 (used it for hanging my lights). I will def look into using it for my next stand! How are you going to wrap it? If you are.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the leak aspect, I have sensors around my CaRx as well that will shut it down if it leaks, thus resulting in only a minor amount of water getting out. The bottom of my stand is sealed so it will contain what leaks (if it were to leak).

What media & salt did you use. I'm perplexed about the rising Calcium.

Anyway, build looks awesome! I love 80/20 (used it for hanging my lights). I will def look into using it for my next stand! How are you going to wrap it? If you are.

My stand will also be sealed on the new tank, but the old one is a waterbox 135.4 so the stand can leak out pretty much anywhere.

I have tried these 3 medias:
- ARM Coarse
- Tropic Eden Coarse
- TLF Reborn

All have been mixed with 10-15% KZ ZeoMag

What is currently in the tank is the TLF Reborn.

Up until about 2 weeks ago, I had exclusively been using Fritz RPM Pro salt for the tank, but after having so many issues with Trace Elements completely missing or way too high, I have switched to Tropic Marin Pro. I had the Fritz ICP tested and it came out at 435 calcium, which was very close to the 440 calcium I was getting on my hanna checker, so if anything, my 10% weekly water changes were reducing my calcium rather than increasing it.

On the 80/20 wrap, I am doing all of the inside myself in marine grade painted wood as seen in the pics so far. For the outside, the tank is right next to my kitchen, so I am leaning toward having a custom cabinet builder come out and match our kitchen cabinets with some magnetic panels that I can pull completely off for maintenance. I doubt that will be right away though, as we just put money down on a pool and probably won't be looking to spend that kind of money right away...in the meantime I may get some cheap panels I can mount at night to keep the fuge and frag light contained.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I use the tropic marin pro with the reborn material in my CaRx (in the second chamber as well) and my Cal stays very consistent (420 range). I don't add any Mag, as the reborn should have enough (and has so far) to keep my tank happy.

80/20 being aluminum, how will you get the skin to stick? I haven't ever looked but do they offer slide in magnets or something? They seem to think of everything.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I use the tropic marin pro with the reborn material in my CaRx (in the second chamber as well) and my Cal stays very consistent (420 range). I don't add any Mag, as the reborn should have enough (and has so far) to keep my tank happy.

80/20 being aluminum, how will you get the skin to stick? I haven't ever looked but do they offer slide in magnets or something? They seem to think of everything.

Probably a few metal L Brackets...or like you said they probably have some sort of magnet that slides into the T-slot and cinches down with a set screw at this point, lol.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much new to report today. I took the tank mock up down in the garage and moved a bunch of the equipment inside. I added in the ball valve for the fuge line. I then pulled the main wood panel off the stand to finish drilling a few holes for wiring and fans. That panel now has a coat of marine paint on the underside, and will get the top side done tomorrow!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just out of curiosity, are you concerned at all about wood movement in your solid wood top?

Not concerned really. The whole board is getting sealed in marine primer and paint, then the board is secured to the 80/20 frame using bolts. This will secure it in place, and help ensure everything stays flat. I will also have a 1/4" thick high density mat between the glass and the wood to absorb any impurities in the wood surface (which was sanded several times, but still has the potential to not be flat).

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top panel is finished now. You can see the 4 corners are drilled out for 120mm fans for circulating air in the stand. Right side pushes air into the stand area, left side pulls air up and out.

I also did a little more work on how I want the wiring to be contained in the stand. I’ve got strips of industrial Velcro up in the crossbars of the stand, and the power supplies will stick to that. I will coil as much of their cords as I can and zip tie them up there, then run what I need to through the channels.

Any thoughts on the best way to run the cables for all of the Apex probes?

4AC8F1C8-67D1-4093-BCF8-852EF0D27958.jpeg

391C71C1-A664-40BB-BD4E-989024E1EACD.jpeg

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE ;-)
Keep up the good work.

Can't wait to see the next steps.
Keep making pictures, makes it really nice to read the build thread.

Thanks, Andre! I want this build thread to document the progress from concept to full blown reef, so I will definitely be taking more pictures along the way!

Hoping this weekend I can drain the old tank and move it into my office for a temporary location while I get the new one set up in it's location. Hoping to get the new tank up and running and stable before moving the livestock, but with only 1 apex I'm not sure I have the stones to leave the livestock on the old tank with no controller while I get the new tank just right :eek:

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Andre! I want this build thread to document the progress from concept to full blown reef, so I will definitely be taking more pictures along the way!

Hoping this weekend I can drain the old tank and move it into my office for a temporary location while I get the new one set up in it's location. Hoping to get the new tank up and running and stable before moving the livestock, but with only 1 apex I'm not sure I have the stones to leave the livestock on the old tank with no controller while I get the new tank just right :eek:
Thats' where the real reefer skillsets coming up...... running it all manually, lol.
I did that in the first few days when I started the 300. The APEX only looked at temperature and PH from what I remember.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats' where the real reefer skillsets coming up...... running it all manually, lol.
I did that in the first few days when I started the 300. The APEX only looked at temperature and PH from what I remember.

I'm not too worried about it. I've got the carbon doser dialed in to where the Apex rarely interferes with it to maintain pH, so I should be ok....just the thought of not having any quick eyes on my temp and pH bothers me a little. Hoping it will only be running manually for a week or so though.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is this monitoring nonsense you speak of, me not splashing a bit of this and some of that manually and RO manual top ups twice a day is wrong?!
Next you will be telling me I need to test and stuff! ;)

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this monitoring nonsense you speak of, me not splashing a bit of this and some of that manually and RO manual top ups twice a day is wrong?!
Next you will be telling me I need to test and stuff! ;)
That's the old fashion way!!! Way to go....... can all work if done right, lol.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went for it today! The waterbox has been moved into my office temporarily. This weekend the stand should get moved into house and everything will start coming together!

You can see the remnants of my apex system on the wall, lol. The space you see there is about 70” wide and 39” deep from the left door molding to the wall. New stand is 68”x36” so it will slide right in!

1F3A9F94-43F1-431C-BE98-C92601706D1F.jpeg

59390413-FE8B-49BB-A639-CD51A7E0D19D.jpeg

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for enough people to carry my stand around to the back of the house and through the 12 foot sliding doors before I can get more done.

Meanwhile, only 2 casualties in the move, a no name SPS and a tiny cleaner goby that got squished by a rock :(

Also put a Photon over the tank for it’s temporary location.

84B5741D-4A6F-4A64-A880-11965BDE987F.jpeg

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a stand in place! Fits like a glove! Only a little touch up paint around the baseboards from trying to get this beast into place.

Now, onto wire and tube routing that I can get done before the sump goes in....silicone to seal it is drying now.

D5078100-B6D4-43B4-B780-9A57279CF436.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back