erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lied...I caulked around the stand before family arrived...lol

C69A62F8-7631-4F1D-8AAB-45F76ED3D9DC.jpeg

That looks clean! What are your plans to protect the drywall on the right side since the tank will be almost up against the wall?

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks clean! What are your plans to protect the drywall on the right side since the tank will be almost up against the wall?

Thanks! I've never been a person to let salt creep settle so I'm not too worried about it. The walls are well protected with the paint, and I'll likely wipe everything down once a month or so to keep it all clean.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bit of a bummer...went to hang one of the aquaticlife fixtures to test, and broke one of the mounting screws from the fixture. It's one of the square headed ones that slides into their t-slot for the hanging kit, so I don't think I can run to the store to get one of those. Hoping @AquaticLifeProducts can come through with a replacement soon...tank will be here early next week!

Also in other news, UPS decided that I didn't need my @Bulk Reef Supply package yesterday as it was never delivered and tracking now reads "customer refused package, returned to sender" even though they never showed up. I'm guessing they broke it beyond repair as they have done several times in my area. Hopefully BRS can send over the plumbing stuff so I can get rolling quickly when the tank arrives.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a bit of a bummer...went to hang one of the aquaticlife fixtures to test, and broke one of the mounting screws from the fixture. It's one of the square headed ones that slides into their t-slot for the hanging kit, so I don't think I can run to the store to get one of those. Hoping @AquaticLifeProducts can come through with a replacement soon...tank will be here early next week!

If Aquaticlife can't get you a replacement soon enough, you can always check McMaster-Carr to see if you can find a similar style screw.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are too skilled for one person. Not fair.
I wish that were truly the case! I have my dad to thank for being at least good at most things....he taught me how to build and fix things on my own. I am not an expert at this stuff, but know enough to get by with a decent result.

epoxy has a few imperfections, but should be perfectly functional and 95% of people won’t see the imperfections!

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to take pics during and after of the tank, but I have a pic of the glass holes I drilled out! Planet wanted $800 to drill a few holes since I didn’t want their overflow...I said no thanks and River City Aquatics let me drill the tank at the shop before they deliver it!

A5E81EAB-B302-4C96-A179-AA06E2A4A8B9.jpeg

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$800 to drill holes? How much for hip-replacement surgery?! (Lol)

Probably cheaper, requires less risk or something like that, lol.

the tank quote was $800 more drilled than undrilled, or you could get it drilled with their tideline overflow for $500 more. I’ve read a lot of poor reviews on the tideline, so wanted to stick with what I know works and support Modular Marine instead. sure was nerve racking drilling my new tank, but went pretty smoothly with2 veterans there to help!

meanwhile, I built a power brick rack for above the tank. Ignore the wiring as that will all be cleaned up, but this holds 4 Radion bricks and 2 orphek drivers along with an EB832 for controlling the t5’s and orpheks.

A44136C6-C88A-4944-8231-5973BA8EB97D.jpeg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably cheaper, requires less risk or something like that, lol.

the tank quote was $800 more drilled than undrilled, or you could get it drilled with their tideline overflow for $500 more. I’ve read a lot of poor reviews on the tideline, so wanted to stick with what I know works and support Modular Marine instead. sure was nerve racking drilling my new tank, but went pretty smoothly with2 veterans there to help!

meanwhile, I built a power brick rack for above the tank. Ignore the wiring as that will all be cleaned up, but this holds 4 Radion bricks and 2 orphek drivers along with an EB832 for controlling the t5’s and orpheks.

A44136C6-C88A-4944-8231-5973BA8EB97D.jpeg
I would put a fan blowing across that to make sure the moist air rising from the tank doesn’t build up and corrode the electronics up there.

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put a fan blowing across that to make sure the moist air rising from the tank doesn’t build up and corrode the electronics up there.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a large dehumidifier in the room, and the eb832 is about 4 feet above the water-line of the tank, so I’m not terribly worried about it up there. If you look at my last build, I’ve got all my electronics in my stand 6” from water and have had no issues. Will definitely keep an eye on things though!

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now for the exciting part! Tank has arrived! Thanks to Jake and crew at River City Aquatics, the install went quickly and smoothly! Working on cleaning it up tonight and will hopefully get some plumbing done before I leave for vacation Friday!

DC46283E-57F9-4D14-8784-F82B129D77F5.jpeg

Obligatory kids in tank pic!
D9C3C2BF-1FA8-4BDF-9D02-0B08ADBF228D.jpeg

OP
OP
Caravanshaka

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton to update...slowly adding some water until I have enough to scape with. Then I’ll move the rocks over and scape, then add sand and bacteria. Rock has been in a 75g running for a couple months now, so shouldn’t take long before I can move fish.

managed to finish the drain plumbing. Waiting on a few things to do the return plumbing. Will also need to plumb the giant skimmer in, and need to figure out how to do that still.

quick pic of drain plumbing (salt mixing in tank)
635C5895-DD18-41BA-B21E-656CCCB21398.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back