Carbon and GFO use with Triton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We know that GFO is effective at removing/ reducing PO4 levels, but if PO4 isn't an issue then it shouldn't be used. Right or wrong?

Carbon....removes toxins, clears up water, deals with odor, etc. Should we only use this as needed? Or should this media be ran as a maintenance routine to prevent or decrease toxins.

Just interested to hear how Triton uses these two media's or how they would recommend us to use them. For example, what are the indications for each media? When should we fire up the reactors?

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only just started using triton core 7 base elements .. I have done my first triton test, which revealed metals in my water , following the advice of triton in doing a series of detox and water changes and Iam running both carbon and gfo after each WC as recommended by triton .. other than that I would only run gfo or carbon when necessary.. but I'm curious as too what others do as well ..

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only just started using triton core 7 base elements .. I have done my first triton test, which revealed metals in my water , following the advice of triton in doing a series of detox and water changes and Iam running both carbon and gfo after each WC as recommended by triton .. other than that I would only run gfo or carbon when necessary.. but I'm curious as too what others do as well ..

How were you doing the detox and how large were the water changes they recommended? What size tank?

I'm currently running with almost no water changes. I run two marine pure 8x8x4 blocks and 50 liters of Siporax in a remote tank for stability and nutrient export. My current NO3 is 2-5 and is well controlled by the Siporax. However, the PO4 isn't as controlled. It's coming down and it's currently at 0.2 ppm. I've had a problem with leeching rock. I've been controlling it with Lanthanum Chloride. It's a cheaper (yet dangerous) alternative to GFO if you have a long-term issue. If you lack experience with LC, do your homework. GFO is costly if the battle continues daily and goes on for months. However, it does appear to be coming down. It's been as high as 0.6, but averages 0.3. After the PO4 equilibrates, I'll switch back over to GFO, but will only run my reactors when needed. I've had multiple different reefs and have never had issues with PO4. My tanks run super clean and my target PO4 is around 0.05. I know it's not good to have zero nutrients. That's a myth. I feel like carbon may strip the water column of beneficial elements. Although I don't know that for sure which is why I posted this thread. I know GFO can definitely impact a tank negatively (if one is not careful). It depends on amount, flow rate/contact time, and duration. I run a hybrid Triton system (Core7 "Other Methods"). I feel that most people (including myself) don't have a refugium that is able to handle the original formula of the Core7 elements. This is especially true for tanks under a year old. IMO, the "Pro Algae Elements" are just too strong unless you have a large refugium and established reef that can absorb them. Anyway, very interested to hear about when and why to use GFO and Carbon in the opinions of Triton.

Also, I recently had a huge Magnesium spike (1600). I normally run at 1285. I would like to know if there are any other ways to deal with that other than water changes.

I keep expert anemones that are very sensitive to changes. Too much nutrients or depleted nutrients will stress them and cause them to walk or deflate. So large water changes, carbon, and GFO are all used with caution at my house.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 6 months old 350 ltr/90 g with sump 30ltrs/8g ... I have no refugium, currently doing 6x15% WC over a period of 6 weeks .. I'm doing a triton detox of 10ml 3 days before water change then running carbon in my filter sock and GFO in a media reactor

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Triton suggested to run the GAC in the sock, but GFO in a reactor? This is done just after the water change?

Tank looks good! Love the blue background.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting on board with triton. I'm not running carbon as I'm dosing no3/po4. I confirmed with Tim that carbon is as needed and not required. How long has the system been running?

What size is your fuge in reference to the non full method core 7 comment? I have a 70 gal sump on a 90 display. Only 15 gal is the fuge. With the tank running 7 months I'm also concerned about algae.

Also did the core 7 raise the mg? I'm already higher then intended at 1450 so I'm worried about it going higher yet, and if backing off bottle one is a good idea in this case.

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just getting on board with triton. I'm not running carbon as I'm dosing no3/po4. I confirmed with Tim that carbon is as needed and not required. How long has the system been running?

What size is your fuge in reference to the non full method core 7 comment? I have a 70 gal sump on a 90 display. Only 15 gal is the fuge. With the tank running 7 months I'm also concerned about algae.

Also did the core 7 raise the mg? I'm already higher then intended at 1450 so I'm worried about it going higher yet, and if backing off bottle one is a good idea in this case.
In time it will all even out when dosing all liquids the same
I don't even test my magnesium as all kits pretty much are hard for me to read.
I worry about alk that's it

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi Scott,

My tank is a 105/g with 40 breeder sump and 40 breeder remote tank. Below I will post a picture of my system. It's been running 4 months. At first I was dosing the recommended amount and then quickly bumped down to 5ml and then 4ml. Everthing was holding stable for about the first 3 months and then I did have a mag spike (1600). I have done a few water changes when needed and this could have caused it. I can't really say it was the Core7. However, both salts I've used aren't known to have high mag levels. Instant Ocean and Fritz pro. I wouldn't worry about a level of 1450, that's nothing. Just let it come down. Back off on your dose and do some minor water changes.

033A0285-417A-4BFA-A7A2-670A7727BBC3_zpsoinsnkyf.png

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scott,

My tank is a 105/g with 40 breeder sump and 40 breeder remote tank. Below I will post a picture of my system. It's been running 4 months. At first I was dosing the recommended amount and then quickly bumped down to 5ml and then 4ml. Everthing was holding stable for about the first 3 months and then I did have a mag spike (1600). I have done a few water changes when needed and this could have caused it. I can't really say it was the Core7. However, both salts I've used aren't known to have high mag levels. Instant Ocean and Fritz pro. I wouldn't worry about a level of 1450, that's nothing. Just let it come down. Back off on your dose and do some minor water changes.

033A0285-417A-4BFA-A7A2-670A7727BBC3_zpsoinsnkyf.png
Nice, you have a lot of corals in there already. You have about the same setup as me. Water volume, age, I also have 2 MP blocks. You must have pretty much started the tank with triton then? Did you do the water changes because of AL? What is your AL at?

My elevated mg and cal are from my salt mix. The tank has tropic Marin pro. Everything is pretty much within spec with that salt. Elevated AL of course MP blocks, iron is quite high in the orange, 0 iodine, elevated cal 474 and mg at 1450. Not from dosing, just from that saltwater. Just wondering how that will play out after a few months was all. I would prefer both to come down a bit, and wondering how high my al will go without water changes.

Did you ever manually dose alk before triton? Wondering what your daily alk dosing was compared to the 4 ml a day it's getting from each bottle now.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, you have a lot of corals in there already. You have about the same setup as me. Water volume, age, I also have 2 MP blocks. You must have pretty much started the tank with triton then? Did you do the water changes because of AL? What is your AL at?

My elevated mg and cal are from my salt mix. The tank has tropic Marin pro. Everything is pretty much within spec with that salt. Elevated AL of course MP blocks, iron is quite high in the orange, 0 iodine, elevated cal 474 and mg at 1450. Not from dosing, just from that saltwater. Just wondering how that will play out after a few months was all. I would prefer both to come down a bit, and wondering how high my al will go without water changes.

Did you ever manually dose alk before triton? Wondering what your daily alk dosing was compared to the 4 ml a day it's getting from each bottle now.

I have 2 Marine Pure blocks as well as 50 liters of Siporax.
One water change was done to knock down my PO4 and the other was to < iodine.
I haven't sent a Triton test off yet.
Never manually dosed Alk on this tank before Triton. It was triton from the beginning.
I have supplemented a few times to get my levels on point.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my tank 3 months ago on the triton other methods as well my tank is packed as well(video in sig) and I believe I will do one more other Tritons method before moving onto the full triton method just so I build up my refugium.
I'm dosing 12 ml a day on roughly 100 gallon tank which equals .6 dkh uptake.

It took a while but found out for every ml u dose of triton in 50 gallons of water is .1 dkh.

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin 12ml sounds like a lot for 100 gal system?

Watched your video. Nice clean system. Just my style. :)

Last edited:

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Justin 12ml sounds like a lot for 100 gal system?

Watched your video. Nice clean system. Just my style. :)
From what I found out by extensive reaseach of asking someone then doing some math that 1 ml is .1 dkh for fifty gallons so if you do this math I loose .6 dkh a day

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.1 dkh per ml for 50 gallons is what I was figuring also.
Yep the triton guy on here is the one who told me it is
nowhere online is it blantantly said but if u research that seems to be the going rate so 12 ml in a 100 gallon volume isn't that much in my opinion

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tell you to start at 10 ml for every 50 gallons so I am lower then what they recomend

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming 3a and 3b are both alk primarily, I'm I'm dosing 4 ml a day of saturated soda ash. So unless it's watered down that makes sense.
So what's ur daily alk consumption?

And yes 3a and 3b are the alk 1 is magnesium and algea growth supliment s and 2 is calcium

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back