Carbon and GFO use with Triton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what's ur daily alk consumption?

And yes 3a and 3b are the alk 1 is magnesium and algea growth supliment s and 2 is calcium
4-5 ml carbonate. This tank is 7 months old, 100 gal, 41 frags.

Are you sure 1 is mg and algae growth? I'm too high mg 1460 so I could do without that for a month. Wasn't sure exactly what was what. Top secret stuff apparently

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4-5 ml carbonate. This tank is 7 months old, 100 gal, 41 frags.

Are you sure 1 is mg and algae growth? I'm too high mg 1460 so I could do without that for a month. Wasn't sure exactly what was what. Top secret stuff apparently
Nah it's not if ur going to do the triton method u have to dose all four equally as over time as your tank matures it will all balance out it's not like dosing this to get alk number then doseing that to get ur calcium number

U dose all four evenly and worry about alk staying at 8 I have no idea what my magnesium is and I don't really care either my calcium was 490 three weeks ago but I do know and the only thing I care about is my alk has been 8 everyday plus or minus .2
IMG_2351.PNG

So if ur going to do this forget about everything else but alk. Keep it at 8 and dose 1 2 3a and 3b the same.

I don't know what 4-5 ml of carbonate is so I can't help ya there but if you tell me how much dkh u lose a day I will be able to tell ya how much to start out at well close enough to what u should start out at.

It's a simple way to do reef keepin don't overthink it and try to adjust because something is higher then what u want as it will all even out. Plus triton elements are good in that they will not raise it any higher then a set point so you can't really over dose. What you want is when your done bottle 1 that bottle 2 3a 3b will also be done.

Trust me the people that get in trouble are the people that try to deviate away from this very simple method except d2mini I don't know what happened with his tank and it's a shame. I just think he didn't have the right refugium to get it started for the triton method and he should have started out with the other methods.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read Scott.h's thread in Reef Chemistry section. I'm proof that your above post has room to be questioned. I thought the exact same thing but it didn't turn out that way (Mg & Ca(very) were low at 7.4 Kh) but I have no ill effects except growth... so far.
I think d2mini's problem was having such a large & thick amount of cheto, that could probably hold a bowling ball, and not thinning it out to get more light to the bottom which resulted in a massive die off that he could not stop. How I wish he would of been successful with Triton.

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah it's not if ur going to do the triton method u have to dose all four equally as over time as your tank matures it will all balance out it's not like dosing this to get alk number then doseing that to get ur calcium number

U dose all four evenly and worry about alk staying at 8 I have no idea what my magnesium is and I don't really care either my calcium was 490 three weeks ago but I do know and the only thing I care about is my alk has been 8 everyday plus or minus .2
IMG_2351.PNG

So if ur going to do this forget about everything else but alk. Keep it at 8 and dose 1 2 3a and 3b the same.

I don't know what 4-5 ml of carbonate is so I can't help ya there but if you tell me how much dkh u lose a day I will be able to tell ya how much to start out at well close enough to what u should start out at.

It's a simple way to do reef keepin don't overthink it and try to adjust because something is higher then what u want as it will all even out. Plus triton elements are good in that they will not raise it any higher then a set point so you can't really over dose. What you want is when your done bottle 1 that bottle 2 3a 3b will also be done.

Trust me the people that get in trouble are the people that try to deviate away from this very simple method except d2mini I don't know what happened with his tank and it's a shame. I just think he didn't have the right refugium to get it started for the triton method and he should have started out with the other methods.

Are u dosing core 7?

OP
OP
Reefahholic

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read Scott.h's thread in Reef Chemistry section. I'm proof that your above post has room to be questioned. I thought the exact same thing but it didn't turn out that way (Mg & Ca(very) were low at 7.4 Kh) but I have no ill effects except growth... so far.
I think d2mini's problem was having such a large & thick amount of cheto, that could probably hold a bowling ball, and not thinning it out to get more light to the bottom which resulted in a massive die off that he could not stop. How I wish he would of been successful with Triton.

The Triton Fuge doesn't get light to the bottom of its Macro's. So why doesn't it die off?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ur saying with ur system stabilizing u have had no problems dosing all in unison except growth?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as d2mini's fuge dying out, I believe you are suppose to not trim and let some your fuge die to release sugars. As that algae dies it has room to absorb more nutrients and continue to grow. The guide says don't trim unless you are needing to drive nutrients lower.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as d2mini's fuge dying out, I believe you are suppose to not trim and let some your fuge die to release sugars. As that algae dies it has room to absorb more nutrients and continue to grow. The guide says don't trim unless you are needing to drive nutrients lower.
He didn't trim till the end

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. I'm just saying that if the bottom of the chaeto wasn't getting light and started dying off that I don't believe it would cause the whole fuge to crash.

I believe he said his crashed because of lack of nutrients

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Core 7 has a target dkh of 7, not 8

Source:
https://www.triton-lab.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Brochures/Guide_to_the_TRITON_Method_5-4-17-web.pdf

Note: for users of Base Elements CORE7 we recommend a target dKH of 7.
09ece4626215669ce9229212ddfed8d0.png
I remember reading they found at 7.2 dkh they found the best but if you stay at 8 not a big problem but the photos above are directly off my bottles and I'll even one up ya with the base elements for the triton method bottles I have for when I run out
image.jpg
image.jpg

I'm not changing what isn't broke either
IMG_2373.JPG

Oregon tort waving hi
IMG_2374.JPG

Brads defugo
IMG_2376.JPG
IMG_2377.JPG

Pc rainbows waving sup
IMG_2378.JPG

No idea waving high in the sky
IMG_2380.JPG

And Pink Floyd coloring up and waving goodbye the other side of this is that yellow it has

IMG_2375.JPG

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bottle says 8dkh also but I did see their website say it runs better at 7 dkh. Seems weird they don't say the same thing.

Psymon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 8 for the first few months, and then moved to 7 after stumbling across that PDF of theirs and seems to be running better... maybe Tim@Triton needs to step in here...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back