Carbon Block Replacement

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Pet Detective

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dow 75gpd membrane, sediment filter, 2 pentek chlor plus carbon blocks and a di chamber, my question is how often should I change those carbon blocks, they claim to be rated for 40,000 g? I make about 160 gallons of pure r.o. water a month, I'd estimate about a 4:1 waste ratio, most advice given says to change every 6 months but that's barley 4,000g of water being put through these blocks, I feel like I'm wasting money and my OCD is through the roof because I keep contemplating that I'm throwing out a less than half used carbon block....makes me insane. I started using the chlor plus filters because sometimes our water authority will add chloramines, usually in the spring or fall, so I decided to not take any chances. I have good results, membrane lasts about 2 years, di needs replaced around 2-3 months typically, I change the sediment filter every couple of months because they are cheap but also important for better water pressure. I guess I just want a semi-definitive answer to my dilemma, which I know I won't get.....it's ok OCD, we'll figure this out....sure, sure we will.

basement reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I saw in a BRS video where they suggested measuring the output of the carbon block to determine when to change it. If you could compare it to the TDS coming out of a new one, you might have a better idea if it's still working well or not.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dow 75gpd membrane, sediment filter, 2 pentek chlor plus carbon blocks and a di chamber, my question is how often should I change those carbon blocks, they claim to be rated for 40,000 g? I make about 160 gallons of pure r.o. water a month, I'd estimate about a 4:1 waste ratio, most advice given says to change every 6 months but that's barley 4,000g of water being put through these blocks, I feel like I'm wasting money and my OCD is through the roof because I keep contemplating that I'm throwing out a less than half used carbon block....makes me insane. I started using the chlor plus filters because sometimes our water authority will add chloramines, usually in the spring or fall, so I decided to not take any chances. I have good results, membrane lasts about 2 years, di needs replaced around 2-3 months typically, I change the sediment filter every couple of months because they are cheap but also important for better water pressure. I guess I just want a semi-definitive answer to my dilemma, which I know I won't get.....it's ok OCD, we'll figure this out....sure, sure we will.

Sorry we missed your post until now.

The CHLORAMINE capacity on those blocks are 2500 gallons @ 0.5 gpm, or
1000 gallons at 1 gpm. Recommend you do not run the blocks up to those limits, howver. Remember both your purified and your "waste water" are both treated by the blocks.

Our Chloraguard filters offer a better value than the pentek blocks - that's why we carry them.

RO membrane life you report (2 yrs) is pretty short.

Russ

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back