Carbon Dosing and Dinos in Retrospect

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Daily I see posts regarding dinoflagellates. It hurts to see great tanks destroyed by them. Ive been there. In fact, i STILL am there after years.

If i’ve learned anything over the last few years of this hobby is there is no such thing as a quick fix. It always comes with some type of possible side effect. Being naive in this hobby on my first tank, I had problems with nutrient control. I was obsessed with the numbers and they weren’t where i wanted them to be. Browsing on here i discovered the magic of carbon dosing. Now im not saying carbon dosing is bad, some of the greatest tanks on here carbon dose daily. Its one of the easiest ways to get your parameters exactly where you want them. Little did I know, being naive, I was playing with fire. In retrospect, i wish i would have went other directions or just used a lot more caution. At first it was fantastic. Algae was a thing of the past. It was the calm before the storm. Not being careful, i dropped my nitrates and phosphates clear to the floor. Then boom, brown snot exploded in my tank. It looked like a warzone. I came on here asking for help and found out I had dinos. I never even heard of dinos, you mean the reptiles that roamed the earth before humans??I tried everything to get rid of them until i gave up and tore down the tank. I was defeated. That tank is long gone but the point of this post is to save someone from the absolute pain of watching something you love crumble. If anyone is asking for advice on carbon dosing, PLEASE warn them of the problems of bottoming out parameters. I know sometimes you have to go through it to learn from it but man did that suck. If just one person reads this post and it saves them from dinos i would be more than happy and this post was worth it.

Nowadays on my almost 3 year old 75 gallon, I dont chase the numbers. I dont even test that often. If everything looks happy and growing, then im happy. I wont ever try to do that again. It gives me a headache thinking about it. Id take green hair algae over dinos any day.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post.

Yes, we spend a lot of time in this forum warning folks who seem to be driving nutrients too low in any fashion.

I wouldn't single out organic carbon dosing as either a quick fix or as any more likely to bottom things out than some other methods (like phosphate binders), but folks should always try to maintain reasonable levels of nitrate (say, 2-10 ppm) and phosphate (say, 0.02 to 0.1 ppm), with the recognition that above this range is probably better than below it unless other sources of N and P are provided..

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds exactly like my experience with my 75g in 2011 when I was about 6 months into the hobby. A few weeks of vodka dosing followed by 3 months of ostreopsis.

OP
OP
MasonK24

MasonK24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the post.

Yes, we spend a lot of time in this forum warning folks who seem to be driving nutrients too low in any fashion.

I wouldn't single out organic carbon dosing as either a quick fix or as any more likely to bottom things out than some other methods (like phosphate binders), but folks should always try to maintain reasonable levels of nitrate (say, 2-10 ppm) and phosphate (say, 0.02 to 0.1 ppm), with the recognition that above this range is probably better than below it unless other sources of N and P are provided..
very good point. ive seen people have similar issues with chemiclean and even gfo. i shouldve mentioned them.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back