Carbon dosing in rotifer or copepod culture?

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing in rotifer or copepod culture. Has anyone tried it or thought about it?
Is this even doable and if so, could there be any benefit in doing it?
Would the changes made to the water conditions in the small water volume and the oxygen depletion be too great resulting in more harm than good? I thought, in theory, it 'could' convert the nutrients into heterotrophic bacteria which then 'could' be consumed (at least some of it) by the cultured animals.
Is this a dumb thought?

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon dosing in rotifer or copepod culture. Has anyone tried it or thought about it?
Would the changes made to the water conditions in the small water volume and the oxygen depletion be too great resulting in more harm than good? I thought, in theory, it 'could' convert the nutrients into heterotrophic bacteria which then 'could' be consumed (at least some of it) by the cultured animals.
Is this a dumb thought?
hi there...i'm currently in my own project of a copepod tank...i only got a little guy 10 gal...but i have enough copepods that i'm going thru half a bottle of phytofeast every week to keep them fed...i've only done one water change in 5 months....i have everything i need to do more, just not necessary at the moment....going to read over your thread and post up my response

bluey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean i don't know alot about heterotrophic bacteria honestly....but my two cents is just let it ride...put some used filter media in and a couple cultured rocks...you'll honestly be set...i am not honestly sure what you're trying to accomplish by using carbon....it can clean the water, but....if ur running a smaller setup what's the point? it's easier to just change the water every half a year...(clearly assuming you have a separate set up for your copepods)

OP
OP
Levinson

Levinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i mean i don't know alot about heterotrophic bacteria honestly....but my two cents is just let it ride...put some used filter media in and a couple cultured rocks...you'll honestly be set...i am not honestly sure what you're trying to accomplish by using carbon....it can clean the water, but....if ur running a smaller setup what's the point? it's easier to just change the water every half a year...(clearly assuming you have a separate set up for your copepods)
Thanks, it was more out of curiosity rather than to accomplish something.

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a dumb thought?
I don't think it's a dumb idea but I've never tried it. There was another post in this forum where someone said they had a continuous phyto culture for over a year (!). The only thing I could tell that was different from typical practice is that they used biomedia - looks like the type used in freshwater systems? It was called k1 micro and I'd never heard of it before. This is not the same as a biopellet but your idea makes sense to me. I dunno, honestly give it a go and who knows? Don't see much downside potential

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 128 59.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 29.3%
Back