Carbon dosing tank works. Perhaps too well

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had nitrates around 40 to 50. I fed 2 times a week for corals fish get pellets daily sometimes they get frozen. I broadcast fees reef roids if I don't have time. If I have time I spot fees thick reef roid paste and coral frenzy. I had to scrub tank every day 2 days you wernt seeing in it. I could clean 2 times a day to make it look clear. Sand was getting discolored. Hair algae growing. But my chaeto wouldn't grow. I decided carbon dosing as I was getting tired of it. Tank is 3 months old no water change yet as my ro crapped out. But the rocks and some sand and corals came from a 1 year old tank. Everything has been good, had to dose once to raise my alk. So anyways I took my 2ml syringe and filled it with vodka. I put in .2 a day then upped to .3 after 3 days. I noticed at day 2 not much algae to clean. Didn't check nitrates. Just used up the 2ml today and my nitrates are undetectable. I am amazed at this, I never thought it would work that fast.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always had nitrates around 40 to 50. I fed 2 times a week for corals fish get pellets daily sometimes they get frozen. I broadcast fees reef roids if I don't have time. If I have time I spot fees thick reef roid paste and coral frenzy. I had to scrub tank every day 2 days you wernt seeing in it. I could clean 2 times a day to make it look clear. Sand was getting discolored. Hair algae growing. But my chaeto wouldn't grow. I decided carbon dosing as I was getting tired of it. Tank is 3 months old no water change yet as my ro crapped out. But the rocks and some sand and corals came from a 1 year old tank. Everything has been good, had to dose once to raise my alk. So anyways I took my 2ml syringe and filled it with vodka. I put in .2 a day then upped to .3 after 3 days. I noticed at day 2 not much algae to clean. Didn't check nitrates. Just used up the 2ml today and my nitrates are undetectable. I am amazed at this, I never thought it would work that fast.
When was the last time you checked your nitrate and phosphate before dosing? What test kit are you using?

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any negative effects on corals from dropping that quickly? That's an awesome result- as in both cool, and inspiring of awe lol.

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals and fish show no negative effects. Been feeding a lot more to get it back up
Of all the ways to get numbers back up, that's definitely a great way of doing it. Clean water and excess nutrition. Thanks for sharing the experience! Excited to read the updates in the weeks to come.

OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's after 3 mins

Attachments

• 20220810_223145.jpg
    20220810_223145.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
It's 50 gallon total volume. I'm dosing the vinegar equivalent of what you were dosing on day 2, 1.5 ml.
Read something about vinegar. I dont remember what a negative effect some people saw, not saying it was major. Like I said my algae on glass significantly slowed down a few days after starting. Been 3 days now of heavy feed to get back up to detectable. No dosing will most likely be doing .1ml a day from here out after I get a little higher reading

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read something about vinegar. I dont remember what a negative effect some people saw, not saying it was major. Like I said my algae on glass significantly slowed down a few days after starting. Been 3 days now of heavy feed to get back up to detectable. No dosing will most likely be doing .1ml a day from here out after I get a little higher reading
I used to dose vodka in another tank and it caused cyano. I'm trying vinegar in this tank. I can fine tune dosing easier with vinegar as it is 8x less potent than vodka as well. Not sure what the downside would be.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s truly 0 that is bad and phosphates will also be low or 0 too! It means you overdosed/went to quickly and can get dinos. You absolutely need to do water changes too carbon dosing is something that helps it doesn’t solve the issue.

OP
OP
B

Blackop555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Heavier feeding and had skimmer offline for 1 day. Maybe fed 1 cube a day and some pellets. Added 2 more fish now a total of 5. I am up to nitrate level of 5 and back to cleaning the glass 2 times a day. So skimmer is back on and I am now going to dose .1ml of vodka a day and see if it maintains. If it keeps dropping I will be cutting it 50 50 with water and try .1ml and hopefully that will maintain nitrates and phosphate at lower levels and hopefully stop the algae on glass

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back