Carbon/Dosing

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a 20 gallon WB Cube.

I have been battling Dinos for the past couple months. I have been done a really good job getting rid of them. I have been keeping Chemipure in as well. I think that the chemipure blue is the problem. It keeps continuously bottoming out my phosphates...

What regular carbon would people suggest?

Also, my Alk has been running low. I just tested again and it was at 6DKH.

I did dose some baking soda and will be retesting it tonight.

What do people suggest dosing? Should I get a dosing pump and dose it daily?
What're peoples thoughts!

Thanks for all the help! WIll be checking back here later today!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Everyone,

I have a 20 gallon WB Cube.

I have been battling Dinos for the past couple months. I have been done a really good job getting rid of them. I have been keeping Chemipure in as well. I think that the chemipure blue is the problem. It keeps continuously bottoming out my phosphates...

What regular carbon would people suggest?

Also, my Alk has been running low. I just tested again and it was at 6DKH.

I did dose some baking soda and will be retesting it tonight.

What do people suggest dosing? Should I get a dosing pump and dose it daily?
What're peoples thoughts!

Thanks for all the help! WIll be checking back here later today!
I think you should get a dosing pump - and dose it regularly. Second - an interesting thought (and I've seen this before) - a higher pH and alkalinity can be helpful with Dinos. Recently (due to a dosing malfunction) - I had an alkalinity of 22 (yes - 22, accurate). which slowly dropped to 13 now over some weeks. All Dinos disappeared, have not come back. (unfortunately - some acros also didn't do well. Soft coral and fish did fine). Long story short - I would aim for a higher pH, alkalinity than you are. I am not sure that all of the ratios, carbon, etc are as helpful as anecdotally reported.

OP
OP
Dcole12

Dcole12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should get a dosing pump - and dose it regularly. Second - an interesting thought (and I've seen this before) - a higher pH and alkalinity can be helpful with Dinos. Recently (due to a dosing malfunction) - I had an alkalinity of 22 (yes - 22, accurate). which slowly dropped to 13 now over some weeks. All Dinos disappeared, have not come back. (unfortunately - some acros also didn't do well. Soft coral and fish did fine). Long story short - I would aim for a higher pH, alkalinity than you are. I am not sure that all of the ratios, carbon, etc are as helpful as anecdotally reported.

Thanks for the information! I was looking to dose actually.. What dosing pump and what are you using to dose alk? All my other levels seem to be staying pretty steady.. Just need to work on phosphates up to roughly .03. and keep it consistent. I might buy the jebao 4 part doser to have the extra units.. Any thoughts is super helpful!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the information! I was looking to dose actually.. What dosing pump and what are you using to dose alk? All my other levels seem to be staying pretty steady.. Just need to work on phosphates up to roughly .03. and keep it consistent. I might buy the jebao 4 part doser to have the extra units.. Any thoughts is super helpful!
I have used a bubble magic 3 pump doser - worked well, easy to program. I also used an Apex DOS, I'm not a fan of that one. Many people like it though

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back