Carbon is keeping my coral alive?

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So I actually got my coral looking super happy but I also started dosing with bright wells reef biofuel. I realized this was the reason why they were looking great.

I tried an experiment and stopped dosing everyday because I kind of wanted to see if that for sure was the reason. So I stopped and notice a few of my frags are now bleaching/dying.

So I am curious why does carbon make corals so happy? I thought they needed to consume nitrates and phosphates and ironically the bio fuel would lower those.

I'm not a chemist by any means so any advice is appreciated. I am more just really curious what in bio fuel makes everything have great polyp extension.

Thanks!

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my lowly knowledge the corals consume the bacteria eating the carbon. The bacteria eats the carbon along with nitrate and phosphate so the corals are getting the phos and nitrate though the consumption of the bacteria more efficiently. This is based on what I watched read etc

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw my corals look so much better also since dosing carbon.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back