Carbon: The easiest way to maintain fresh carbon in your reef?

How do you run activated carbon on your reef tank?

• Reactor

Votes: 361 36.6%
  • Filter Sock

Votes: 45 4.6%
  • Mesh Bag

Votes: 442 44.9%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • I don't run Carbon

Votes: 125 12.7%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Activated Carbon - Commonly used in reef tanks, activated carbon is great for a whole variety of reasons, ranging for removal of general contaminants, dissolved organics, undesirable odors, yellowing pigments in the water, removing the build-up of toxins that corals and algae emit to fight each other, and much more. - Bulk Reef Supply

When it comes to most things in life the easier something is to accomplish the more it probably gets done! The same probably holds true in maintaining a saltwater reef aquarium and more specifically running activated carbon on your reef tank as a filter. I like to run carbon for various reasons but if it's hard to maintain then it becomes one of those neglected chores. Let's talk about making running Carbon easy today!

1. What do you think the easiest way to maintain fresh carbon in your reef is? How have you made it easier?

2. Are you using a reactor, filter sock, mesh bag or something else to run carbon?

carbon-1-gallon-3-types-760w.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BRS reactor that I have been using for over a year. I would change the carbon once a month ( I didn’t need to change it any more often). Then my tang started getting HLLE so I stopped using it and within a week he/she was looking back to full health with no trace of HLLE.

BRS just made a new video and stayed the running carbon in a mesh bag was almost as effective as a reactor, almost. Just a bit slower. Since I am so short on relestate in my sunp I pulled that to make room for different equipment to take its place. I will keep the reactor in storage in case it is ever needed.

because of the HLLE scare I am going to wait a bit before I run carbon and when I do it will be put in for a day they removes. I will use it to polish the water if needed or to help IF I ever need to remove a contaminate in the case of an emergency. I don’t ever want to I’ve run it again.

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do I run carbon...... ?
What a question that has been on the back of every reefers mind.

Because I see no ill effect of running it.
Because it makes my water so so clear.
Because I always have.

I see a difference in about 2 weeks in water clarity (when I assume carbon is exhausted)

I run in aio tank so carbon is in a mesh bag on 2nd shelf of intank media holder

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently run carbon in a reactor but I’m looking to make it easier to keep it fresh.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not run any carbon. I ran it for about 40 years but stopped maybe 10 years ago.
My water is not yellow and is crystal clear.
The main reason I don't run it, besides thinking it is a waste of money, is because carbon removes metals.
Metals are vital to a salt water reef and I want to keep what I have. I realize carbon only removes a tiny amount of metal but there is only a tiny bit of metals in the tank anywhere as a trace element.

Just my opinion of course.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to do the sock thing, then bag in sock, I now place bag in the return chamber by the pump inlet, Too bad no one makes a basket like pool pumps ;)

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think the easiest way to maintain fresh carbon in your reef is? How have you made it easier?

I run a single BRS reactor. I use two inserts, one is in the reactor, the other is cleaned, prepped and filled for the next carbon change. So all I have to do is unscrew the bowl, pop in a fresh insert, screw the bowl back on and that part is done. When I have time I will empty, clean and add new carbon to the cleaned insert.

I do the same thing above on GFO and carbon scrubber. Works great.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I run it once a month in a small bag for about 2-3 days, then remove it.

I find a 5 micron sock does an unbelievable job at polishing the water from particulate stuff. I run a set of these for 2-3 days a month as well. They are usually clogged after 3 days anyway.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the filter sock an option?
Just pour some carbon in, and let it run?

My new tank came with 4 socks, which I replaced with acrylic cups. Maybe I can have one of them run carbon?

--Gray

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the filter sock an option?
Just pour some carbon in, and let it run?

My new tank came with 4 socks, which I replaced with acrylic cups. Maybe I can have one of them run carbon?

--Gray
Thats what I do - the acrylic cups - and a mesh bag

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 24/7 in an upflow cannister/reactor. Upflow helps to keep it detritus free, and frankly it's not hard to empty/refill.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't often run carbon. When I do, it is in a small reactor with a small dedicated submersible pump permanently attached. Just drop add GAC & it in the sump when needed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I run Chemipure blue in a mesh bag which it comes with

dhboiler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The easiest way for me is to just throw a bag on the rack between the skimmer and return chambers. This is extremely easy to maintain and the bags are $0.80 at petsmart.

ForrestGump

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it in an acrylic cup that fits in the filter sock holder. Pour some in, rinse and drop in place. When I change, I dump out the old pour in some new, rinse and drop in place. Super easy!

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running carbon in a mesh bag in the sump, but I'm about to switch to Chemipure blue bags since I've seen good results in my nano.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back