Carbon vs Ozone... Ozone w/ CO2 Scrubber

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about getting an Ozone 'machine'. Currently I don't run Carbon, but I do have particles in my water, film algae takes about a week to make a dent in my glass and there is a slight 'ocean' smell around my tank that the wife hates.

I'm debating either buying a reactor for Carbon, running and changing carbon maybe monthly. Buying an Ozonator and running Ozone with a dryer.

I have low pH currently and am using a CO2 scrubber on my skimmer. Has anyone seen or had success running a CO2 scrubber into a dryer, into an ozonator and then into the skimmer venturi?

My thoughts are that the CO2 scrubber needing moist air will be too much for the dryer to combat, which will decrease the effectiveness/longevity of the ozonator.

Any other thoughts?

Is Ozonator worth the extra cost over a reactor with carbon + changing media?

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get rid of the particles in the tank. I feed very heavily and don't use filter socks per Triton recommendation.
0c0abbb7c6f7b822b6ec19252bcb8d0e.jpg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone will be far better than carbon as far as clarity.

Ozone and carbon can potentially remove more organics than a skimmer. And ozone will remove smells too.

Just got my ozonizer from a pool store. Heres 45 mins of 50-70mg/h. The best carbon didnt even make a dent in this color. Rox .8
20171208_190628.jpg
20171208_201712.jpg

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone is a great tool, I'm not sure about running it with a CO2 scrubber though? maybe an expert will chime in, l know that soda lime works better with higher humidity levels and ozone likes dry air, so hooking them in line with eachother maybe a challenge.

Ozone is not only great for eliminating smells and providing spectacular water clarity, it helps raise ORP, which can be great for heavily fed tanks that have trouble maintaining ~ 400mv.
Corals seen to respond well to higher ORP levels. ever notice how corals look their best the following day after a waterchange, esp one that removes a lot of detritus? My belief is this is due to increased ORP, I believe there is literature out there that mentions this correlation as well. Maybe one of Martin Moes books possibly.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran both a CO2 scrubber and ozone for a bit. What I did was run the CO2 scrubber in a recirculating manner drawing from the top off the skimmer cup then through the media and into the skimmer. I then added a T fitting between the skimmer cup and scrubber media and pumped ozone into the line Via a small air pump. The media stayed moist because most of the air was drawn from the cup but the ozone generator was only fed air from the air pump which went through a dryer first.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard here ozone and gac complement each other. I run a gac reactor 24/7 and ozone for a few hours a week. No bad smell, even in skimmate.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think im going to run ozone generator in to skimmer air intake then out of skimmer will be gac, co2 scrubber, dessidant to ozone input, ozone generator back to skimmer repeat

Then with a solenoid to change where co2 comes from depending on ph so low ph would draw from skimmer high ph draw from cupboar/stand cupboard

hope I’ve got that correct I’m still researching.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have become an ozone fan. However, please be careful with how much you do; less is more.

Please follow the instructions carefully. I never have to change my carbon again.

However, I do keep a carbon reactor ready - simply for more reasons (e.g. toxins removal etc.) I do not have any understanding of Ozone helping with toxin removals so its just a preemptive measure however touch wood never needed it until now.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have become an ozone fan. However, please be careful with how much you do; less is more.

Please follow the instructions carefully. Never have to change my carbon again.
An orp sensor helps that

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree- Use an ORP sensor and did I already mention - Less is more.

Also you can read this , very interesting and useful read so if you can and if you do , running carbon will help along with ozone primarily to remove toxins. But I don't

if using an apex you can have it switch ozone off when the orp reaches certain numbers but from my research carbon is essential.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back