Cardinal fish hosting in Nem? Is this a Doomed union??

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a super bleached Nem 2 weeks ago. He has been slowing coloring up and responding to feedings etc. HOWEVER over the past couple days my bengai cardinal has decided to hose with him.

Once the nem comes back to his full self, is he going to make a meal out of him?..

20200329_204702.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I remember seeing a documentary on their invasiveness and saw them hosting in anemones, long spine urchins and sea fans. From what I saw it was mostly juveniles and loners doing this so it might be a product of him being in there by himself and resorting to a behavior he knows provides protection from predation.

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Interesting.

I bought three from a LFS. Didnt tell me that had been shipped in that same day! 2 of the three died in the first 72 hours. He's been a loaner, but happy for 6 months up until now.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know they don't lose them only the algae with in them, even a completely bleached anemone can sting the only difference being a bleached anemone will take much longer to replace them than a healthy one as it lacks the energy given to it by its algae.

jreefier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a super bleached Nem 2 weeks ago. He has been slowing coloring up and responding to feedings etc. HOWEVER over the past couple days my bengai cardinal has decided to hose with him.

Once the nem comes back to his full self, is he going to make a meal out of him?..

20200329_204702.jpg
I believe cardinals are known to host in anemones in the wild so it should be perfectly fine.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I remember seeing a documentary on their invasiveness and saw them hosting in anemones, long spine urchins and sea fans. From what I saw it was mostly juveniles and loners doing this so it might be a product of him being in there by himself and resorting to a behavior he knows provides protection from predation.
I believe cardinals are known to host in anemones in the wild so it should be perfectly fine.
What they said.

/But not just juveniles, adults too. Corals as well, mine like to hover over my trachy quite a bit.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back