Cardinal gill problem. need help

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this on my cardinals gills this morning. Both sides. Any help with diagnosis and treatment would help. Water parameters are good. #jayhemdal

Cardinal 1.PNG Cardinal 2.PNG cardinal 3.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this on my cardinals gills this morning. Both sides. Any help with diagnosis and treatment would help. Water parameters are good. #jayhemdal

Cardinal 1.PNG Cardinal 2.PNG cardinal 3.jpg
Bangaiis are prone to thyroid hyperplasia (goiter). However, those take weeks/months to develop and won't just show up overnight. Now, these growths can develop under the gill plates and then when they get large enough, they extend out from underneath, but that still takes time to happen.

Jay

OP
OP
Fish man

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. This came on pretty quick. One of these is actually on the outside of the gill. Almost looks like a blister. Any treatment ideas?

Attachments

• Cardinal 4.jpg
    Cardinal 4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 25

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. This came on pretty quick. One of these is actually on the outside of the gill. Almost looks like a blister. Any treatment ideas?
Given the one outside of the gill chamber, that rules out goiter. It could be viral or could also be microsporidian xenoma. No medication for either of those. It could be bacterial, but it seems encysted, and I’ve never seen that with bacteria externally like that.
Jay

OP
OP
Fish man

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the one outside of the gill chamber, that rules out goiter. It could be viral or could also be microsporidian xenoma. No medication for either of those. It could be bacterial, but it seems encysted, and I’ve never seen that with bacteria externally like that.
Jay
Ok Thanks again Jay.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back