Cardinalfish has cloudy eyes, white spots, fin rot. Please help ID!

DaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my ochre-striped cardinalfish has had cloudy eyes for quite a few weeks now (originally in just one eye, then spread to both). One of his eyes especially looks quite bad and I'm not sure he can see so well out of it. Additionally he has white spots on one of his sides (shown in pics) and his fins are fraying. I initially tried feeding him food soaked in kanaplex and metroplex, but after 10 days, no change. He ate like normal the whole time and seemed fine, other than the eyes/fins/white spots.
I next tried prazipro as I thought maybe it was flukes. After one round of prazipro, I still see no change, however his appetite is very suppressed now. Either that, or he cannot see the food; it's hard to tell which. I just added the second dose of prazipro today and hope to see more results.
Does anybody have any idea what this might be, or if I just need to be more patient with the prazi? Any help is greatly appreciated, my guy is getting worse by the day and I don't know why :(

20210404_134355.jpg 20210404_134302.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

DaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lesions are only on that side. The only other fish in the tank is a bicolor blenny - I don't imagine there's any fighting, or at least I've certainly never seen any.
I couldn't get a good picture of his eyes, but both are cloudy and one also looks like it's scratched.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be helpful to rule out poor water conditions first.
Can you advise
The age of system
How long has it been in the system
What are your parameters
How many months have these parameters been stable.
Fish seem to get a lot of different things including puffy and glassy looking eyes which can be linked to poor, unstable waters.
I’d rule that out first before moving forward.

OP
OP
D

DaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I don't think it's water quality but my parameters are:
Temp 80F
Alk 10.5-11
Calcium 420-440ppm
Magnesium 1380ppm
Nitrates generally ~5ppm, sometimes swing up but never higher than 20
Parameters have been stable for at least a couple months

The tank is about 6 months old, had this cardinalfish for a month and it's always seemed really healthy (eating a lot, swimming normal) until recently around the time it's eyes started getting cloudy.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back