Discussion in 'General LPS Discussion' started by stunreefer, Oct 9, 2009.

Care of Large Polyp Non-Photosynthetic Corals

This is a brief description in "Laymans Terms" of how to feed and keep large polyp non-photosynthetic corals (NPS coral). I see countless threads...
By stunreefer, Oct 9, 2009 | |
  1. A-A-ron11

A-A-ron11 New Member

I see that this post was a couple months back but did you watch these closely? Could they have been moving on their own? Tubastrea reproduce by releasing planulae larvae which is what first came to mind.

rich nyc likes this.

2. rich nyc

rich nyc Well-Known Member

Thanks. i thought of that but since no one answered I threw it away. It probably was. Unfortunately have not done it anymore.

3. stunreefer

stunreefer Reef Hugger R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor Photo of the Month Award

As mentioned above this coral spawned.

Some coral, Tubastrea included, spawn when stressed. Moving them to a container with no flow can sometimes cause this... it's a last-ditch effort to reproduce as the coral instinctually believes it's in danger. Silly things don't know we're about to load them up with food ;)

I've seen it happen a few times to Tubastrea and similar coral, along with Euphyllia.

Sallstrom and rich nyc like this.
  4. thunderdood

thunderdood Member

So in the last couple months I've been target feeding Reef Roids to the Dendros and other LPS corals and I have noticed a huge boom in the amphipod population. I've also noticed the amphipods crawl all over the tentacles and do in fact steal the some of the food while tentacles do not really grab the amphipods.

5. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Valuable Member

Yea natural feeding is really amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted