Career Combining Engineering and Marine Biology?

Tristan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently a freshman in college majoring in environmental engineering(might switch into mechanical). I’ve always been interested in marine biology and aquatic life in general and have had tanks for 8 years now ranging from fw to reef tanks. I was hoping I could find a career that allowed me to use my background in this hobby and combine that with engineering. I’ve looked up some jobs such as being an aquaculture engineer and designing and optimizing fish/coral aquaculture systems, but beyond that, I haven’t found many careers that are engineering based, but also work closely with marine life.

However, I do not have any official education or experience outside of my interests in the topics and I feel like that will end up being an issue for me.

Does anyone know of any ways I could incorporate both my Engineering degree and my passion for Marine Biology? Or of any companies that incorporate these into what they do?

Thank you so much

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One connection could be on the freshwater end, designing fish ladders for stream passage at hydro dams. This could be for marine fish running up rivers to spawn or all freshwater species. Since the fish go up they also have to go down, so downstream migration is another issue that needs addressing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back