Careugh's Biocube 32 Build

Careugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,

This tank is a year in the making, and I am super excited to get it going. It’s going to be my first tank and maybe my only tank. For that reason, I went all in. I already have a Phase 2 planned, but here is Phase 1!

Tank: Coralife LED Biocube 32g
Controller: Neptune Apex + FMM (probes in chamber 3)
Reactor: BRS GFO & Carbon Mini Reactor – 5” Single (return line in chamber 3)
Lighting: Kessil A360X

Chamber 1:
Reactor Pump: Cobalt MJ1200

Chamber 2:
Media Basket: InTank Media Basket
Skimmer: Tunze Comline Doc Skimmer 9001

Chamber 3:
Heater: Ehiem Jager 100w
Auto Top Off: Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152 (return line in chamber 2)
Return Pump: Coralife Return Pump

I will be doing a fishless cycle with Red Sea Reef Mature Kit, bleach cured dry rock and Carib Sea Live Sand. I'll post some initial photos, and update as things progress!

My tank in its new home:
Photo Jul 08, 9 22 53 AM.jpg

Quite a bit of the stuff for the tank:
Photo Jul 08, 9 22 25 AM.jpg

A view of the chambers from the back:
Photo Jul 15, 6 20 19 PM.jpg

A view of the chambers from the top:
Photo Jul 15, 6 20 29 PM.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Careugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t wait to see the progress!! I’m interested in how that skimmer does for you. I went with a refugium instead. I’m using the cheap biocube skimmer and it works amazing!!

image.jpg
So my plan is to actually turn part of the media basket into a mini refugium. It will be part of phase 2. As for the skimmer, I’ve heard and read great things, but it’s my first skimmer so we will see how I do.

OP
OP
C

Careugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7/16/2019 - Day 2
Day 2 was slightly eventful. I started to get familiar with my test kits and started the Red Sea Reef Mature Starter Kit. The tank has considerably cleared. I'll be able to put my rock in this coming Monday night.

Temp: 78
pH: 8.05
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 1
Salinity: 32.6
Alkalinity: 8.1

07/17/2019 - Day 3
I briefly woke up at 2 am to a salinity alert. Lessons learned:

- When cycling turn off your apex alerts.
- It takes a ridiculously small amount of evaporation without an ATO to alter the salinity of such a small tank considerably.

Temp: 78.4
pH: 7.86
Ammonia: 1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Salinity: 29.8
Alkalinity: 8.5

55g9JvoUQFOzpZZ7bIbYeA.jpg

07/20/2019 - Day 6
Installed my auto top off and powerhead tonight. The tank is looking considerably clearer, crystal clear.

Temp: 78
pH: 8.05
Salinity: 32.6
Alkalinity: 8.1

I'll post another update tomorrow/Monday when I get my rock in finally.

OP
OP
C

Careugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you checking your salinity with? You should be at 35ppt. Or 1.026.

It’s my apex, but I’ve been dumping my top off water into the chamber with the probe so it unnaturally skews the number. I installed the auto top off last night and have it topping off in a different chamber now, so it should regulate. I’ve been manually testing using a refractometer and it’s at 1.026.

SPLASH!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more updates? How’s it going? I have a BioCube as well seeing other people build out there’s is always fun. How did you mount your Apex?

OP
OP
C

Careugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any more updates? How’s it going? I have a BioCube as well seeing other people build out there’s is always fun. How did you mount your Apex?
Hey Splash, just saw this!

So I got the rocks added and the tank cycled. I just added 2 clowns last night and am super happy still. As for the Apex it hasn’t been mounted yet. Within 2 weeks of being out of the box the EB832 failed and I’m having to send it in for repairs. Not super happy but dealing with it.

1D104FFF-1D19-4486-BEB8-EFD316993C9E.png 54D6F196-5E6D-496C-9821-40431A769388.jpeg

Jogging stroller dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Careugh, that build is what I want to do. We are in week just started the third week in our initial cycle with our BioCube 32. Lots of diatom right now but that’s supposed to be a good sign I think. We have the in tank media basket. How are you planning to setting up your Refugium? That sounds like a great idea but am curious about space in the BioCube or maybe in the BioCube stand? Which apex controller did you go with? Your build looks impressive

7CF54109-40FB-4FE5-8AB0-522E18A7F968.jpeg

OP
OP
C

Careugh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow Careugh, that build is what I want to do. We are in week just started the third week in our initial cycle with our BioCube 32. Lots of diatom right now but that’s supposed to be a good sign I think. We have the in tank media basket. How are you planning to setting up your Refugium? That sounds like a great idea but am curious about space in the BioCube or maybe in the BioCube stand? Which apex controller did you go with? Your build looks impressive

7CF54109-40FB-4FE5-8AB0-522E18A7F968.jpeg
Hi! I suffered with diatoms for a couple days around week 3 myself. Came and went with no issues though. I like your rock work a lot. That’s the the part (finding a layout) I struggled with the most. though I’d make sure to give yourself plenty of room around the glass and back. Looks like it might be a little tight on the right side.

For my refugium I plan on turning the I take media basket into my refugium and growing some chaeto in the lower racks with the top rack being filter floss. I’ll paint the back black except for over chamber 2 and put a refugium light with a box over it on the back.

As for my apex, I have the standard apex controller. I really like it so far except for the small hiccup with the EB832.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, can I ask how your skimmer is working? I am trying to do the same setup (InTank basket and tunze 9001) but when I put my pump in feed mode so much water enters chamber 2 that is completely submerged the skimmer cup which then floats off. Do you have that issue if your return pump turns off?

Kbrow0810

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running completely lidless or mesh top? How is the a360x treating the tank? I’m debating between a 160 and 360 on my own cube.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back