Caribbean Cubed *Live rock and FTS*

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well starting something new, but similar to have I have done in the past. This tank is my UNS 30a. It will be an (as close to possible) representation of the Florida Keys stuck inside a 7-gallon cube tank.

I plan to put a single fish species (potentially a colony of them)

Equipment:
Tank- UNS 30a
Heater- Finnnex HMA-50s on Inkbird ITC308S set at 78f
Return Pump- Sicce MicraPlus
Powerhead- Hygger 1600 GPH (though this may change, depending on livestock and programming)
Filtration- Bag of Marine Pure Gems (small bio balls basically) That's it. No other filtration. I've done it before and the entire tank basically is going to act as filtration with all the macroalgae. I do plan on doing 10% water changes every week as well
Lighting- ONF Flat Nano+ set at 45% right now

Dosing:
ChaetoGro
Ferrion Iron

SpongExcel

CoralAmino
Phytoplankton

Livestock plans:
Live rock- 10lbs KP Aquatics 'starter' rock
Live Sand - Caribsea Ocean Direct
Corals- Gorgonians (I hope)

MacroAlgae-Maybe some Caulerpa and Botryocladia
Fish- Possibly a group of Roughhead blennies (Acanthemblemaria aspera)

Inverts- Thinking some Porcelain Crabs, Sexy Shrimp, Mime crabs

September FTS:
UNS 30a Caribbean Reef.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well starting something new, but similar to have I have done in the past. This tank is my UNS 30a. It will be an (as close to possible) representation of the Florida Keys stuck inside a 7-gallon cube tank.

Equipment:
Tank- UNS 30a
Powerhead- Hygger 1600 GPH (though this may change, depending on livestock and programming)
Filtration- Bag of Marine Pure Gems (small bio balls basically) That's it. No other filtration. I've done it before and the entire tank basically is going to act as filtration with all the macroalgae. I do plan on doing 10% water changes every week as well

Dosing:
ChaetoGro
Ferrion Iron

SpongExcel

CoralAmino
Phytoplankton

Livestock plans:

September FTS:
Oo, this is going to be an interesting tank to watch grow!
I would love to try a Caribbean themed tank, just a shame I have fish that aren’t actually from the Caribbean

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment:
Tank- UNS 30a

Dosing:
ChaetoGro
Ferrion Iron

SpongExcel

CoralAmino
Phytoplankton

Livestock plans:

September FTS:
Check out KP Aquatics for Caribbean livestock.

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my KP rock yesterday, was a bit of a mess as I was supposed to get them around 10:30-11:30am but since I live on campus mail doesn't show up until around 3pm. Everything turned out fine and I live the rocks that I got, I did end up with a couple extra pieces that I can use as frag frocks and accent pieces. Overall I am pleased with what I got, even came with some nice hitchhikers:

-Brittle star

-Harlequin star

-coral pistol shrimp (another was dead)

-some small red striped shrimp (maybe 1/2 inch long)

-tons of types of feather dusters

-sponges

-some macro species

-pencil urchin (removed)

-some weird red and white ribbon worm

Will be fun to see what grows and comes from the rocks, not 100% sure on what I will do livestock wise but I do want some macroalgae, besides that I am not 100% sure what I will do. Here is how the tank looked this morning which is still a bit cloudy from a bacterial bloom, but way better than last night.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my KP rock yesterday, was a bit of a mess as I was supposed to get them around 10:30-11:30am but since I live on campus mail doesn't show up until around 3pm. Everything turned out fine and I live the rocks that I got, I did end up with a couple extra pieces that I can use as frag frocks and accent pieces. Overall I am pleased with what I got, even came with some nice hitchhikers:

-Brittle star

-Harlequin star

-coral pistol shrimp (another was dead)

-some small red striped shrimp (maybe 1/2 inch long)

-tons of types of feather dusters

-sponges

-some macro species

-pencil urchin (removed)

-some weird red and white ribbon worm

Will be fun to see what grows and comes from the rocks, not 100% sure on what I will do livestock wise but I do want some macroalgae, besides that I am not 100% sure what I will do. Here is how the tank looked this morning which is still a bit cloudy from a bacterial bloom, but way better than last night.
Looking great! Also just an idea for stock:
Shark nose/neon goby
Or
One of the smaller Blennies (Although some do eat certain algae)

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Also just an idea for stock:
Shark nose/neon goby
Or
One of the smaller Blennies (Although some do eat certain algae)
Yeah I was thinking some barnacle blennies would be nice. Did some quick IDing of the feather duster worms I’ve seen and so far I have:
Ghost feather dusters-Anamobaea sp.
Blushing star coral fan worm- Vermiliopsis n. sp.
Black-spotted feather duster-
Branchiomma nigromaculata
And possibly the most epic one
A couple Spirobranchus sp (Christmas tree work relatives)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was thinking some barnacle blennies would be nice. Did some quick IDing of the feather duster worms I’ve seen and so far I have:
Ghost feather dusters-Anamobaea sp.
Blushing star coral fan worm- Vermiliopsis n. sp.
Black-spotted feather duster-
Branchiomma nigromaculata
And possibly the most epic one
A couple Spirobranchus sp (Christmas tree work relatives)
Wow! That’s the dream ‘pests’ to have

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listened to an Instagram live from a couple of my buddies talk about aquascaping tanks and it was mentioned that looking at dive pictures/videos can give you a better look at how the reefs exist in nature. The take away from the chat was to create depth and dynamic on the sand bed, very rarely if at all will there just be a pile of rocks on clean sand. There is usually some smaller rocks/rubble dotted around the main structure so I broke up a rock and went to work. I think it turned out great and looks a lot better and more natural looking.
1561248772_UNS30aupdate.thumb.jpg.d348556b0fa32f4ea374e0d7be78d563.jpg

Florida live rock is the greatest thing that is still available to the hobby, while it might be a bit expensive from KP Aquatics you have to think 1/4-1/3 of the price is shipping and you get the rock shipped overnight to you door. 1000% worth it and I recommend that everyone try it once. So many fun things come with the rock, I have never had aiptasia from KP rock and bristle worms ARE NOT PESTS.

Here are some of the cool "hitchhikers" I have found over the past few days
Red Fanworm
330315405_RedFanworm.thumb.jpg.754485bf56ff640a06dafbe7b3398f9f.jpg
Ghost Fanworm
1193137503_GhostFanworm.thumb.jpg.5b90eec2b9bb36d8d8bd083fa0dcd22a.jpg
Horseshoe Fanworm?
Fanworm.thumb.jpg.e23aa62bd8fdadb758ac77b0bd1928a6.jpg
Christmas Tree Worm?
1711099201_ChristmasTreeWorm.thumb.jpg.bf80c53d56d12bc710c3ac713f512647.jpg
Red & White Ribbonworm
Ribbonworm.thumb.jpg.2d5de4edae752bea7a7b7639ea0fd3ee.jpg

I have also have seen a brittle star, harlequin star, coral pistol shrimp, and a very small red/white striped shrimp.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listened to an Instagram live from a couple of my buddies talk about aquascaping tanks and it was mentioned that looking at dive pictures/videos can give you a better look at how the reefs exist in nature. The take away from the chat was to create depth and dynamic on the sand bed, very rarely if at all will there just be a pile of rocks on clean sand. There is usually some smaller rocks/rubble dotted around the main structure so I broke up a rock and went to work. I think it turned out great and looks a lot better and more natural looking.
1561248772_UNS30aupdate.thumb.jpg.d348556b0fa32f4ea374e0d7be78d563.jpg

Florida live rock is the greatest thing that is still available to the hobby, while it might be a bit expensive from KP Aquatics you have to think 1/4-1/3 of the price is shipping and you get the rock shipped overnight to you door. 1000% worth it and I recommend that everyone try it once. So many fun things come with the rock, I have never had aiptasia from KP rock and bristle worms ARE NOT PESTS.

Here are some of the cool "hitchhikers" I have found over the past few days
Red Fanworm
330315405_RedFanworm.thumb.jpg.754485bf56ff640a06dafbe7b3398f9f.jpg
Ghost Fanworm
1193137503_GhostFanworm.thumb.jpg.5b90eec2b9bb36d8d8bd083fa0dcd22a.jpg
Horseshoe Fanworm?
Fanworm.thumb.jpg.e23aa62bd8fdadb758ac77b0bd1928a6.jpg
Christmas Tree Worm?
1711099201_ChristmasTreeWorm.thumb.jpg.bf80c53d56d12bc710c3ac713f512647.jpg
Red & White Ribbonworm
Ribbonworm.thumb.jpg.2d5de4edae752bea7a7b7639ea0fd3ee.jpg

I have also have seen a brittle star, harlequin star, coral pistol shrimp, and a very small red/white striped shrimp.
I regret going with man made rock, I didn’t get the joy of all these nice looking ‘pests’

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I regret going with man made rock, I didn’t get the joy of all these nice looking ‘pests’
I hate the word “pest” it’s not a pest, it’s an animal that is living and our human views of “perfection” decide that they don’t belong

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate the word “pest” it’s not a pest, it’s an animal that is living and our human views of “perfection” decide that they don’t belong
That’s true, although most people look at them as pests, I keep trying to stop calling them pests because they’re really not and they just try to help our aquariums in sometimes bad ways

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true, although most people look at them as pests, I keep trying to stop calling them pests because they’re really not and they just try to help our aquariums in sometimes bad ways
I usually call them hitchhikers or freebies

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually call them hitchhikers or freebies
Haha, freebies is the best name for them. Unfortunately because I don’t have natural rock, I don’t get any freebies like feather dusters

OP
OP
CD_Scapes

CD_Scapes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp thought I’d give in update since there is actully some thing to talk about. First off I got my macroalgae from gulf ecosystems and I love it, didn’t have as much room for the caulerpa as I though but it works. I really love the Ogo and might have to try some more in the future. Speaking of the future, I got offered an RA job for the rest of the school year so that means I will be moving to a bigger dorm and that means I plan to get a bigger tank! Limit is 20 gallons so I’m looking at an IM Nuvo 20. I already got some lights for the tank, around the end of last week I won an auction for 2 AI Primes. So the most costly part of the mew tank is out of the way. Well that’s all for now, will update probably after I move. Here’s an FTS:
0C282128-94CB-425E-999C-5852A45729FD.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp thought I’d give in update since there is actully some thing to talk about. First off I got my macroalgae from gulf ecosystems and I love it, didn’t have as much room for the caulerpa as I though but it works. I really love the Ogo and might have to try some more in the future. Speaking of the future, I got offered an RA job for the rest of the school year so that means I will be moving to a bigger dorm and that means I plan to get a bigger tank! Limit is 20 gallons so I’m looking at an IM Nuvo 20. I already got some lights for the tank, around the end of last week I won an auction for 2 AI Primes. So the most costly part of the mew tank is out of the way. Well that’s all for now, will update probably after I move. Here’s an FTS:
0C282128-94CB-425E-999C-5852A45729FD.jpeg
I’d love a bit of Gracilaria - I want to have a macro algae tank with only softies because they look so natural and although I want to go for mainly wrasse I still think their colours would burst infront of the algae,
Nice that you’re getting a bigger tank - You could have a Blenny or something like that. Hope it all goes smoothly! I currently have a Max Nano 20g - and a 4x2x2 tank downstairs. So I may turn the Max nano into a macro algae only tank because it’d help my Blue Star Leopard that’s being housed in there as a grow out tank with food.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve finally decided that I’ll do a macroalgae & softie tank - 1. It’s natural-ish and 2. I have a 4’ mixed reef already. Plus, Algae hits different to coral when it’s done as nicely as yours

also, is the caulerpa invasive or not really?

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back