Caribsea Life Rock and Fuji Live sand...Cycling with Tim's?

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

Finally got my tank filled and ready to cycle.

I have the dead Caribsea Life rock and 60lbs of the fiji live sand. I have one block of Marine Pure in my sump.
I have a bottle of the Dr Tim's one and only nitrifying bacteria.

Can I just remove my filter socks and add this for 48hrs like Dr Tim says and add a pair of Clowns at the same time in my 120 gallon.
Or would it be better to use something else for the ammonia such as a single shrimp?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will work but skipping fallow and quarantine can be a disease headache

MattDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it 4-5 days IMO just to be on the safe side. Make sure that you are at least checking for the ammonia spike. I'm sure the fish can hold off for a day or 2. Give em a better success rate,

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it 4-5 days IMO just to be on the safe side. Make sure that you are at least checking for the ammonia spike. I'm sure the fish can hold off for a day or 2. Give em a better success rate,
How will I get ammonia spike without a source?

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't believe them - but that's just me.
I trust him. Plus I don't have a quarantine tank as of yet. I'm out of $$$ after setting this one up:(
He has his own company out of his house. He has a 2000 gallon system of tanks at his business.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will I get ammonia spike without a source?
Dr. Tim's Aquatics Ammonium Chloride Solution for Cycling Aquariums, 2-oz bottle

Or Fritz powder version.

I just did this fish less cycle. Worked great. I followed Dr Tim’s instructions.

MattDaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a local professional tank maintenance company that will sell me 8 week quarantine fish. He has several pairs of clowns ready.
Thats an awesome resource to have for fish. I had asked a LFS to hold a fish for me just 2 weeks so i could make sure it was all good. His response was "I'm in business to make money and can hold a fish that long" Meanwhile there have been fish in there for over a month now still swimming in the same tanks in saw them in when the first arrived.

Go figure. I thought that they needed people to come back repeatedly to stay in business.

Why by livestock from a place that I don't feel is giving my the best product they can????

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
humblefish too sells qt fish its the wave of the future. A dry start w bottle bac is indicated here, thats a zero vector situation.

**still need another tank though for fallowing your hardscapes, snails w shells, corals etc* that is unless he's got a fallow setup to sell from. Someone should certainly be doing this for cash its a great idea.

the specific proof your bottle bac isnt dead before adding fish is to dose ammonia to about 1 ppm. see if it goes down overnite, doesn't have to reach zero just go down. if so its proof bac are ready. I do believe all bottle bac is legit it is very rare to have a dead bottle, but zero ammonia moved overnite would cause an alarm. doesnt hurt to pre test.

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1DC86ECA-B909-4E86-8533-D4DABA73D4E5.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
additionally, at about two weeks of submersion the liferock becomes fully active for a delayed kick.

rustyreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Dr Tims Ammonia to kick off the cycle. But I didn't rush to put fish in the tank. Instead I waited for 4 weeks until the cycle was complete and then added a 2 clowns. One thing I have learned in this hobby is.> don't rush things.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its already live and can likely process standalone ammonia by itself. my lfs has kept a 2o gallon full of baby clowns running that sand only plus a powerhead. the sand is ready, the dry portions have already been coated in bac, ammonia test is final proof

Last edited:
OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its already live and can likely process standalone ammonia by itself. my lfs has kept a 2o gallon full of baby clowns running that sand only plus a powerhead. the sand is ready, the dry portions have already been coated in bac, ammonia test is final proof
I had the same dead rock live sand. Your tank is still going to cycle.
So I should not even use the Dr Tim's bacteria and just dose the ammonia drops?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back