Caribsea LifeRock - look "real" or just like painted cement...?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering what those who have Caribsea LifeRock think of it...

Does it look like "real" live rock - or does it look like a piece of painted cement (I know it's not cement - it's calcium carbonate, etc.)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks pretty natural especially compared to Real Reef Rock which I had in my last tank. Real Reef Rock definitely looked like painted concrete for the first couple years. Liferock has much better "pore" structure" with holes and nooks in the rock that seem much more natural.
1594060688342.png

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like it I setup with live rock but have started adding life rock it is a bit bright at first but when bits of algae start to grow on it it looks really nice also gives corals more contrast when attached to it and there are loads of little nooks in the rocks which is good

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will if you break the rock, but its really not a big deal.

It does look great right out of the box and in the water.

Last edited:

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love it! I seeded the tank with a few small pieces of live rock in my sump to add diversity to the life rock bacteria in my new setup and barely had any noticable cycle. I haven't noticed and of the coating chipping off or peeling. I did also use live ocean sand and nsw. I'm a few months in and the life rock is already growing coraline algae. It was nice having the look of live rock from day one but being able to do my scape outside the tank! Awesome stuff in my opinion!

20200706_185024.jpg 20200706_185051.jpg 20200706_185059.jpg

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently rebooted my reef and used nothing but this rock. So far no issues....has been about 5 months....hard to tell with the blue pic but it looks very natural.
Scape.JPG

jdloftness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Was wondering what those who have Caribsea LifeRock think of it...

Does it look like "real" live rock - or does it look like a piece of painted cement (I know it's not cement - it's calcium carbonate, etc.)
I have 100% Caribsea Life Rock in my tank and think it looks great. What I didn't know was it's not real rock and doesn't allow for good bacteria formation. I could never figure out why my nitrates were high. When I was told it was not real rock and didn't have the benefits of real rock, I added an export block to compensate and now the world is good. FYI

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back