CaribSea Oolite - I should have known better

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Oolite, looks amazing before the equipment is turned on, but not so much after. I'm sure it would be amazing for low flow systems, but please learn from my mistake and don't even try it with anything else. The video below is right after turning on the two MP40s at 20%. Their mounted about 3/4 up on the back glass.

I did my research and knew that it was a risk, but I tried it anyway. I understand it was a mistake, just hoping that someone sees this and decides to not attempt it!

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CaribSea Oolite, looks amazing before the equipment is turned on, but not so much after. I'm sure it would be amazing for low flow systems, but please learn from my mistake and don't even try it with anything else. The video below is right after turning on the two MP40s at 20%. Their mounted about 3/4 up on the back glass.

I did my research and knew that it was a risk, but I tried it anyway. I understand it was a mistake, just hoping that someone sees this and decides to not attempt it!

I have oolite and I love it. I dont have any issues with it blowing around. The first few months anything that is moved in the sand i made a small cloud and had to blow everything off.

I'm also not running sps type of flow in my tank.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have oolite and I love it. I dont have any issues with it blowing around. The first few months anything that is moved in the sand i made a small cloud and had to blow everything off.

I'm also not running sps type of flow in my tank.
Yeah, that's the difference. I can turn the flow down and it is all good. I love the look of it, but unfortunately it's back to the drawing board for me!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's the difference. I can turn the flow down and it is all good. I love the look of it, but unfortunately it's back to the drawing board for me!
Its not for everybody. You can get some nice white white bigger grains

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Siphoning out half and mixing in special grade or Fiji pink might be a good solution. The larger grains would likely help keep the tiny ones from blowing around

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphoning out half and mixing in special grade or Fiji pink might be a good solution. The larger grains would likely help keep the tiny ones from blowing around
I thought about that, but wouldn't the larger grains just settle to the bottom and leave the fine stuff to blow around?

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about that, but wouldn't the larger grains just settle to the bottom and leave the fine stuff to blow around?
Possible but you won't get all the oolite out. A 50 50 mixture i woudnt think would do that. The small grains should fill the gaps

Hoosier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over time, the larger grains will rise to the top (I think). If you shake a container of something crushed or sand-like, the large pieces end up on top. Same thing happens with just a little bit of disturbance, but more slowly.

I'm trying to decide between oolite & fiji pink, too.

OP
OP
HD_Reefer

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over time, the larger grains will rise to the top (I think). If you shake a container of something crushed or sand-like, the large pieces end up on top. Same thing happens with just a little bit of disturbance, but more slowly.

I'm trying to decide between oolite & fiji pink, too.
Sort of. The fine grains blew to the back and left the larger parts behind. Please take my advice, if you’re gonna have high flow, don’t go with Oolite.

I know have a mix of Oolite and Special Grade, but all of the Oolite has settled in the back of the tank. It did end of giving it a pretty cool effect tho, and there’s still large areas for Gobies to do their work in the future.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back