CaribSea substrate: white or ‘tan’

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 120lb of CaribSea seaflor special grade and 80lb of Fiji pink, expecting it to be a nice brilliant white that I see in the tanks of people who recommended it.

Now it’s in the tank- it’s tan. Definitely not white. And not a whole lot of pink in the Fiji pink.

Did CaribSea change their collection area? Is this something that’s happened in the past?

Not going to remove it, since it’s a non-returnable $220 purchase, a d the wife thinks it looks great, but I’m just a little bit disappointed it’s not as white as I was led to believe.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 120lb of CaribSea seaflor special grade and 80lb of Fiji pink, expecting it to be a nice brilliant white that I see in the tanks of people who recommended it.

Now it’s in the tank- it’s tan. Definitely not white. And not a whole lot of pink in the Fiji pink.

Did CaribSea change their collection area? Is this something that’s happened in the past?

Not going to remove it, since it’s a non-returnable $220 purchase, a d the wife thinks it looks great, but I’m just a little bit disappointed it’s not as white as I was led to believe.
I read some of the reviews before I bought mine and they had the same complaints. Even after reading the reviews I was expecting a little brighter and a little more pink but nope, it matched what everyone else said. After looking at our tank with black sand then going downstairs to the other tank I really do like the looks of the fiji.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the bummer- the most recent reviews I saw said that it looks white and has great glow under actinics. I don’t think it looks bad, just not as crisp white as I wanted/expected.

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a bummer, that is what I was planning to get for the white look and glow. I was going to order online too, so now I have to rethink that

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair- I’m not running my reef lights yet (still need to build them) - I’m looking at it under 3500k led shoplights.

I’ll try to get a pic with better led’s, so if that makes it look better.

But it certainly wasn’t ‘white’ under full spectrum daylight in the sun when I was rinsing it

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Funny, i was going to question the current lighting. Generally, the reflective properties of any aragonite sand is what makes it look bright white in most systems (vs the refractive properties of silica-type sand - which is much more drab in comparison).

The sand is reflecting the crappy spectrum of your shop light. [emoji17]

Once you get some quality lights over it, it will look much more like the bright white sand bed you are expecting.

Something else that will have a huge impact, is whether or not there is water in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back