Carisea SK-5000 Keeps overflowing after replaceing fleece roll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Airhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ladies and gentlemen

I have bought myself a Clarisea SK-5000 that has been running just fine with no real issues. It's been running with the bypass valve fully closed and its taken about 5 - 6 weeks to use the XL roll that came with the filter.
Then I changed the fleece roll with an original Clarisea roll and since that it just keeps overflowing like mad. Even when I fully open the bypass valve it overflows like nothing really is passing true the fleece. The roll turns just fine but no matter how much fleece that pass true (looks really clean) its not able to keep up. I use a Ecotech Vectra M2 pump running at around 740-800 gph and no matter how low i set the pump to run it still keeps overflowing.

What on earth have I done wrong here guys? help :eek:

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh I have never heard of anyone having this problem before. If it's hitting the emergency overflow cutout wouldn't the motor be perpetually running since the float switch is below that level? Did it stop turning for 24hrs before replacement and trigger the alarm on the the little pushbutton thing? You might hear a faint beep or see the little blinking red light to indicate it's in some sort of fault mode and won't trigger the motor when the float switch is activated. It might need resetting if so.

OP
OP
A

Airhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've figured it out now. The new fleece roll is coated in something that reflects water. The fleece is so dense that water has a really hard time passing though it and that makes the water level instant raise and overflow the sk-5000. When I compare the old roll vs the brand new I got the tiny holes in the old is bigger than the new and the old one gets instant wet if I place it in the sump.

So I guess I have to find some replacement rolls

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've figured it out now. The new fleece roll is coated in something that reflects water. The fleece is so dense that water has a really hard time passing though it and that makes the water level instant raise and overflow the sk-5000. When I compare the old roll vs the brand new I got the tiny holes in the old is bigger than the new and the old one gets instant wet if I place it in the sump.

So I guess I have to find some replacement rolls
You said the new one was a Clarisea brand roll? I would contact the company.

OP
OP
A

Airhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to give an update on my issue I had. I bought some new filter rolls and it now works perfect again. So the issue was with the filter roll itself, must have been a bad patch out on the market when I bought mine

FFFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran into the same issue. Using fleece rolls from 'Batch 8' (batch number in tiny text at the lower-right corner of the label) very little water passes through the fleece. Also seems to drag / bind through the mechanism. I switched to a roll from 'Batch 4' and no problems.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same issue with a Bubble Magus. It seems like there are only about three of us that have that roller (exaggerating). Had to pull it. Last roll won't even take half the flow that previous rolls did.

Tony@D-D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, There were a few rolls from one batch ( batch 8 SK5000 only ) at the end of the production that we found were not coated correctly , this has accounted for less than 3% of the batch. Can you please confirm the batch number of the rolls you have had issues with please. Best regards Tony

reeferisland

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also am having a problem with the roll currently in use. It does not roll after the water rises and I have to manually pull it and then keep my finger on the advance button to roll up what I pulled. It is probably batch 8 because I have two more rolls that I haven't used that are from batch 8. This is for the SK5000. Should I return the rolls I haven't used from this batch?

mello87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solved. Even my model was sk3000 the roll was the issue... I buy another one batch 4 and now is solved

OP
OP
A

Airhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tony
I think the 2 rolls I had that had the issue was not batch 8. But I don't remember anymore, i threw them out.

Btw could it be possible to make roll that allows more water to pass (I know this will also let some partials pass also)

Tony@D-D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi peeps, it was only atch 8 for SK5000 that had the issues and even then a very small percentage ( around 3% max )

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back