Carlgreni lighting question

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't seem to find too much information on carlgreni mushrooms. They are from the Caribbean, but lighting seems to have mixed information. From this vendor, it seems like super low light is required https://seahorsesavvy.com/collectio...red-caribbean-carlgreni-mushroom-aquacultured and other sites just say low to moderate light.

Also, since they are discosoma carlgreni, does that mean they reproduce by pedal laceration? Anyone with more info on these uncommon mushrooms, I'd love to know more. The internet has less than one page of results when you search them.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept some a number of years back. They are quite adaptable, but I wouldn't over light them or put them in too much flow as they can bleach out (same lower light/flow conditions as for Rhodactis inchoata seemed to be fine).

D calgreni 021615.jpg

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I kept some a number of years back. They are quite adaptable, but I wouldn't over light them or put them in too much flow as they can bleach out (same lower light/flow conditions as for Rhodactis inchoata seemed to be fine).

D calgreni 021615.jpg
How do they split and what size do they get to?

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@Nano sapiens thanks! Are you a mushroom pro? Any info on how St. Thomas mushrooms split? Those also seem to be an oddity with some people selling them but not a ton of information on them. I thought for awhile that since they are collected nearby, they might be the same.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Nano sapiens thanks! Are you a mushroom pro? Any info on how St. Thomas mushrooms split? Those also seem to be an oddity with some people selling them but not a ton of information on them. I thought for awhile that since they are collected nearby, they might be the same.

'Mushroom pro' :). No, I just know a little something about them.

D. sanctithomae ('St. Thomas Rics') reproduce in much the same way as D. calgreni. To my eye they are closer to anemones and they can inflate to much larger sizes (talking up to 8" when they are really happy). Can sting other corals badly, too. I had two in a 12 nano for a few months and I had to move them on since they took over too much space.

They are really nice 'Shrooms, though, and their edges tend to float gracefully in a low-medium current.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back