Carnivore-Personality show tank (NANO). Lionfish or Flame Hawk?

weclownin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small dedicated tank to host either:

Dwarf Lionfish (7")

Mombasa Lionfish (6")

or

Flame Hawk? (4")

Lionfish are so beautiful but Flame Hawks are so cute. Which would be more satisfying, easier, last longer, etc..

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks have a ton of personality, and you can sometimes purchase them as a mated pair. Lionfish won't always eat frozen food so it can be more work to feed them, and imo they don't have a lot of personality. I actually prefer the fuzzy dwarf lionfish if you are going in that direction.

OP
OP
W

weclownin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks have a ton of personality, and you can sometimes purchase them as a mated pair. Lionfish won't always eat frozen food so it can be more work to feed them, and imo they don't have a lot of personality. I actually prefer the fuzzy dwarf lionfish if you are going in that direction.

One of my LFS has a fuzzy and he is adorable. They are getting in 2 more tomorrow so I will probably go check them out. Flame Hawk I'd have to overnight from California.

N00B1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you getting a flame hawk from live aquaria?

N00B1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was the one I was looking at!
Ill let you know how it turns out from them. I ordered 3 pearly head jawfish and 2 were doa then the 3rd went out in quarantine the next day. Hopefully this shipment will be better.

OP
OP
W

weclownin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill let you know how it turns out from them. I ordered 3 pearly head jawfish and 2 were doa then the 3rd went out in quarantine the next day. Hopefully this shipment will be better.

Thanks. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank, you say nano tank, the 2 lions you mention including the fuzzy would be best in something like a 55g. The flame hawkfish could do well in a 30g, a pair would be awesome, and found on divers den frequently.

Dwarf lions are usually misunderstood because many keep them in small tanks and feed them a dead only diet. In a larger tank being fed live food at least weekly, they live longer and are very active. My lions are several years old and are a constant display of activity. I keep them in a 90g and feed them a live food dominant diet. Kept in a small tank they will likely just perch alot, unless they are very hungry, and many have a hard time keeping them on a dead only diet long term.

Flame hawkfish are my favorite small tank predator, they will easily and happily take dead food, but supplementing with live ghost shrimp adds to their enrichment and yours. If you are talking in the 30g range I'd go for the hawkfish. They are perchers, they don't have a swim bladder, so understanding that is important, as you won't have a constant display of a active swimming fish.

N00B1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

29FE9966-B430-4A0B-9B38-2A1818D3F9F5.jpeg

N00B1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far he's looking good, didn't eat the first day in quarantine which is a biocube 16 with softies and with 2 wrasses which he came with. No noticeable problems. He likes to perch on top of the pump and just watches. He will stay here for a few weeks until he's moved to my display tank. Also there's a skunk shrimp which is a little bigger then him which he has no interest in so far. However the skunk will not leave behind the rock which he does swim behind every so often.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back