carpenter wrasse and firefish?

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am new here. I have a nano tank with one carpenter wrasse and an ocellaris clownfish. I was thinking of adding a banggai cardinal or a firefish. will they fight?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown is the most likely one to cause problems. What size nano. The fire fish will probably spend all its time hiding as the other fish are much more active and aggressive at feeding time then they are. A good chance it will end up starving because of that.

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown is the most likely one to cause problems. What size nano. The fire fish will probably spend all its time hiding as the other fish are much more active and aggressive at feeding time then they are. A good chance it will end up starving because of that.
what about the banggai cardinal? is it fine to keep it with the clownfish and carpenter wrasse? thanks for replying.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kind of small for your wrasse. I hope it is covered. Any fish can jump, but Wrasses are notorious jumpers.

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kind of small for your wrasse. I hope it is covered. Any fish can jump, but Wrasses are notorious jumpers.
my tank is covered. the fish shop told me that carpenter wrasses were fine in a 15 gallon as long as it was covered and I have a 20 gallon.

Last edited:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS are notorious for giving bad info to sell fish. One told my nephew a yellow tang would be ok in his 12 gallon nano. Your wrasse will be ok but not ideal.

OP
OP
freshwaterandmarine

freshwaterandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS are notorious for giving bad info to sell fish. One told my nephew a yellow tang would be ok in his 12 gallon nano. Your wrasse will be ok but not ideal.
Oh no. A yellow tang won't do well in a 12 gallon! I'll try not to overstock the tank. My carpenter wrasse has already lived in the tank for one month and it's doing well!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back