Carpenter wrasse with grey floating strand attached to forehead. Can anyone identify or suggest treatment

Pscha4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BCD2C666-95F1-4C2B-9AC9-994AFB8490A7.jpeg
CD388BC9-B55D-4B46-B806-98048E574A06.jpeg

OP
OP
Pscha4

Pscha4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't even see anything?
It’s hard to get a good picture, it’s the grey spot in the middle of his forehead. In person it looks like a little grey translucent worm. You can see I think floa from side to side when he swims.

MB_Fahrer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to get a good picture, it’s the grey spot in the middle of his forehead. In person it looks like a little grey translucent worm. You can see I think floa from side to side when he swims.
Ah, I think I can see it now. I'm probably way off but maybe it's a flatworm parasite?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see in the pics. There is a fluke that gets pretty large called Neobenedenia. Usually you can’t really see them unless they are on a fish’s eye, but maybe on a small wrasse they could be more visible.
How long have you had this fish?
Praziquantel with good aeration is the best way to deal with this in a display tank. In a treatment tank, low salinity is a better option.
You should Google pictures of Neobenedenia to see if you think it matches. This could also just be a bump or injury.
Jay

OP
OP
Pscha4

Pscha4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and insight! I have only had the fish for 2 days, he came from Dr. Reef as a Quarantined fish. He seems healthy and has been consistently showing himself and feeding. I googled Neobenedenia, based on the picture I don’t think that’s it...... this is about 1mm in length and it has a skinny consistent tube like shape and it is only attached at the base ( you can see it float when he swims). Your suggestion about it being an injury may be correct..... will keep a close eye on it. Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply and insight! I have only had the fish for 2 days, he came from Dr. Reef as a Quarantined fish. He seems healthy and has been consistently showing himself and feeding. I googled Neobenedenia, based on the picture I don’t think that’s it...... this is about 1mm in length and it has a skinny consistent tube like shape and it is only attached at the base ( you can see it float when he swims). Your suggestion about it being an injury may be correct..... will keep a close eye on it. Thank you!
Yes, very unlikely that an adult fluke would make it through their process, hopefully it is just a minor injury.
Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 48 82.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back