Carpenter's Wrasse Wound Or Disease?

applebutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Carpenter's Wrasse disappeared into the rocks for a day and when he emerged today he looks like he has a big wound on his side. Does anyone know if this an injury from bullying or is it a disease? I've attached photos below.

20220404_104730.jpg 20220404_104527.jpg

OP
OP
applebutton

applebutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank age? params? what other fish do you have? looks like a nasty wound from a tankmate.
8 month old tank. Quite a few fish but all are supposedly peaceful. If it is a wound and I'd had to guess it would be caused by my Orange Back Fairy Wrasse as recently he started started somewhat bullying a Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse. The only other fish I've seen be aggressive is my African Gold Midas Blenny. But pretty much all of his aggression has been towards a Bicolor Blenny that comes near his spot. Although the Carpenter's Wrasse hangs around the Midas' spot as well.

Would feeding more help stop the aggression? The Orange Back is supposed to be very peaceful, and he looks pretty fat. Though he is losing some coloration, but I read that was common.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8 month old tank. Quite a few fish but all are supposedly peaceful. If it is a wound and I'd had to guess it would be caused by my Orange Back Fairy Wrasse as recently he started started somewhat bullying a Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse. The only other fish I've seen be aggressive is my African Gold Midas Blenny. But pretty much all of his aggression has been towards a Bicolor Blenny that comes near his spot. Although the Carpenter's Wrasse hangs around the Midas' spot as well.

Would feeding more help stop the aggression? The Orange Back is supposed to be very peaceful, and he looks pretty fat. Though he is losing some coloration, but I read that was common.
are those all the fish? would it be possible to great a straight up list of the fish you have?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Carpenter's Wrasse disappeared into the rocks for a day and when he emerged today he looks like he has a big wound on his side. Does anyone know if this an injury from bullying or is it a disease? I've attached photos below.

20220404_104730.jpg 20220404_104527.jpg
Looks like a nasty tear/would that can become a bacterial issue
Treatment will be seachem neoplex in a separate quarantine setting - follow package instructions
Assure good water quality

OP
OP
applebutton

applebutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are those all the fish? would it be possible to great a straight up list of the fish you have?
Its a 180 gallon tank.

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Orange Striped Timor Wrasse
Gold Midas Blenny
Bicolor Blenny
Flame Angelfish
Royal Gramma
Randall's Assessor
Fathead Sunburst Anthia
Foxface Rabbitfish
Flame Hawkfish
Clownfish (2)
Pinkbar Goby
Steinz Goby

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 180 gallon tank.

Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
Orange Back Fairy Wrasse
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Melanurus Wrasse
Orange Striped Timor Wrasse
Gold Midas Blenny
Bicolor Blenny
Flame Angelfish
Royal Gramma
Randall's Assessor
Fathead Sunburst Anthia
Foxface Rabbitfish
Flame Hawkfish
Clownfish (2)
Pinkbar Goby
Steinz Goby
theres a few things in there that could have potentially done that to the carpenters

OP
OP
applebutton

applebutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a few things in there that could have potentially done that to the carpenters
Which other fish should I look out for?

The Splendid Fairy has clearly become pretty scared of the Orange Back, and the Orange Back is constantly lording over him now. I feed twice a day and I missed a feeding a week ago and 2 days later is when this happened. Could a missed feeding turn a fish this aggressive?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Splendid Fairy has clearly become pretty scared of the Orange Back, and the Orange Back is constantly lording over him now. I feed twice a day and I missed a feeding a week ago and 2 days later is when this happened. Could a missed feeding turn a fish this aggressive?
you feed daily and missed just a single day, its likely to be unrelated. many wrasses can be aggressive towards each-other either way, especially if one wrasse is smaller. Its hard to pinpoint a specific culprit. It may be good to put the hurt wrasse into QT with antibiotics or an acclamation box

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the problem - you may never see chronic aggression in the fish prior to a big hit like this. Not all aggression is preceded by bullying, sometimes a fish just nails another fish right out of the blue.

If you can, isolating the wrasse and treating with antibiotics would be the best course of action....

Jay

OP
OP
applebutton

applebutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the problem - you may never see chronic aggression in the fish prior to a big hit like this. Not all aggression is preceded by bullying, sometimes a fish just nails another fish right out of the blue.

If you can, isolating the wrasse and treating with antibiotics would be the best course of action....

Jay
Thanks that is good to know. In your experience is it likely to happen again? Or is it possible this was a one off incident?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a wavemaker have caused this injury?

flasher wrasses tend to dart around when spooked.. is it possible it was spooked into a wavemaker?

just a thought.

hope he recovers. they are beautiful fish.

OP
OP
applebutton

applebutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a wavemaker have caused this injury?

flasher wrasses tend to dart around when spooked.. is it possible it was spooked into a wavemaker?

just a thought.

hope he recovers. they are beautiful fish.
I don't have a wavemaker just 2 MP60's.

Yeah I'm surprised something was able to get that big a chunk out of him. He is fast and there is plenty of rockwork for him to hide in.

Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that is good to know. In your experience is it likely to happen again? Or is it possible this was a one off incident?

Tough to say much other than fish sure can be unpredictable! And then, in reading later posts, I have to wonder if it might be caused from a water pump as suggested?

Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back