Carpenter's wrasses QT any input appreciated

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I'll be picking up 3-4 carpenter's wrasses from LFS in the next day or 2. I have a 30g with a cycled sponge filter up and running at SG 1.014 to match the lfs tanks. lots of PVC pieces

Currently there is no copper in the tank.

I plan to observe the fish for a day or 2 before starting any treatments. I do have Copper power, GC and prazi on standby.
Anyone have experience with this particular fish in QT? I am torn on running copper if they are showing no signs of infection, any thoughts?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

I'll be picking up 3-4 carpenter's wrasses from LFS in the next day or 2. I have a 30g with a cycled sponge filter up and running at SG 1.014 to match the lfs tanks. lots of PVC pieces

Currently there is no copper in the tank.

I plan to observe the fish for a day or 2 before starting any treatments. I do have Copper power, GC and prazi on standby.
Anyone have experience with this particular fish in QT? I am torn on running copper if they are showing no signs of infection, any thoughts?
Do you plan on putting all of those Carpenter's in the same DT? I would recommend only 1 Carpenter's and then getting a few different flasher wrasses to go with it.

I put all of my wrasses through GC treatment in QT. I do wait a few days to make sure they're feeding well first. I personally don't put my wrasses through copper unless it's necessary; I opt to observe them for 5-6 weeks in QT but that's what works for me.

OP
OP
daybreaksky

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up 3 wrasses, 1 had some spots on the tail and on the fins but not too many but they looked tiny. Didn't see them until closely inspected at home. Lost that one overnight. The other 2 are pretty lively and would come out for food and eating well also getting along, one looks more mature and possibly transitioning male. No aggression.

Started doing 36h tank transfers following the ich/velvet process and will also do H2O2 for good measure.

The more mature one has a chunk bitten out of the tail and one belly fin looks damaged so I'll do furan 2, gonna time it with the transfers

Finally I will start general cure for any internal parasites towards the end

PXL_20201213_193305147.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back