Carpet Anenome - opinion on health?

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am posting this for a friend who is looking to purchase a carpet anemone and pair of clowns from an established tank. It will be his first, and he will be saving it from a small setup. Attached is a pic of it. I know nothing about carpet anemones but the mouth of it does not look good to me. I don't know the circumstances behind it though or when the photo was taken. I know it's hard to judge from just this pic, but does anyone have an opinion here?

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the pic...
Carpet Anenome.jpg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty carpet!

The gaping spitting guts mouth is telling you there is something its not happy about.

Could be environmental, could be what it is being fed, could be bacterial. The nem doesn't look horrible.

Does your friend have the ability and willingness to do an antibiotic treatment if needed?

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does. He can do whatever it takes. I'm just trying to help him out as he is not on the internet much. I'm trying to get some better pictures but fear this may be all he gets, and I won't be with him when he goes to pick it up.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some more pics. Not any better looking. It's not happy but it doesn't look unhealthy to me? Unfortunately the maroon clowns come with it, and my buddy already has a perc he doesn't want to get rid of. Any chance if he stayed away from the nem they would leave him alone?

Attachments

• Carpet Anenome2.jpg
    Carpet Anenome2.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Carpet Anenome3.jpg
    Carpet Anenome3.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Carpet Anenome4.jpg
    Carpet Anenome4.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I'm telling him to ditch the clowns and just get the carpet. Those maroon clowns are beautiful, but I assume eventually they would rule the tank.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will do. I thought his other clown was a perc, but it's an ocellaris. He could move it to another tank, and take the nem and maroon clowns for his main tank. I heard the maroons just become total monsters so I told not to do that unless he wanted to dedicate the tank to them basically. His tank is 90 gallons with non-aggressive fish. He hates to break up the nem and clown pair, but has the option to buy just the nem and I told him that is what I would do. I hope that was solid advice.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The is a green haddoni carpet anemone. I would ask him to wait a few days and have the person send another pic. The mouth shouldn’t be protruding like that. It could have that particular moment in time.

as for the pair of maroons, if the tank is large enough then the lone perch will be fine. But maroons are mean and no other fish will be allowed in that area when they are mating. So that 90, they would take over one entire end if the carpet was over there.

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I got more information last night talking with my friend. The anemone and clown pair were in a big tank for a few years that was just recently lost in hurricane Ian here in SW FL. These guys were rescued from death and thrown in a biocube until a new home could be found. My buddy is having second thoughts. He really wants to save the nem that perhaps is just stressed and could pull through. He won't take the clowns. But he has numerous non-aggressive fish in his tank and is fearful the nem will eventually eat what's there. I don't think he is going to risk it. It's really a shame as the nem won't last long in that biocube. I would take it and put it in my tank, but I also have fish I love and don't want to risk losses.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I got more information last night talking with my friend. The anemone and clown pair were in a big tank for a few years that was just recently lost in hurricane Ian here in SW FL. These guys were rescued from death and thrown in a biocube until a new home could be found. My buddy is having second thoughts. He really wants to save the nem that perhaps is just stressed and could pull through. He won't take the clowns. But he has numerous non-aggressive fish in his tank and is fearful the nem will eventually eat what's there. I don't think he is going to risk it. It's really a shame as the nem won't last long in that biocube. I would take it and put it in my tank, but I also have fish I love and don't want to risk losses.
That’s a shame, it’s a beautiful haddoni, but it is definitely risky. Can the person at least take it to a lfs that can better care for it?

OP
OP
XLReefer525

XLReefer525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my friend bails on it, he is going to suggest that. I wish I had another large established tank set up to take it. I only have a small 12 gallon Evo that is my frag and quarantine tank. It's been running for 2 years, but just too small even short term.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d ask how long the original owner has had it. It’s probably not bacterial if he’s had it for a while, could be something else, like a neglected tank and poor water quality. It looks like it’s been healthy but something happened recently that’s causing problems.

Edit: just realized this was an old thread, dang you R2R similar thread recommendations haha

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anemones like that is not infected but there is something wrong with the water. Or the macronutrients but one of the minor ones that we don’t measure. I wonder if sending the water to have analyzes will let us know what it is. It
I see this when I neglected tank maintainable. It improves with resume my routine water change.
Chances are, it he buy this anemone and move it to a different tank, it will improve.
Keep us update please, if he decided to buy it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back