CaRx questions (Reef Octo 200) in general....and unable to get pH set properly.

jhuntington12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about 6 months about I got a Reef Octo 200 CaRx and seemed to have it working just fine. Had the pH set right where I wanted it with the neptune apex controlling the regulator keeping it withing a .05 range.

One day, I noticed the pH rising, and thought i might be out of Co2 however the regulator is still pushing bubbles out so I just increased the bubble counter to keep up. Unfortunately the pH keeps rising to the point where I cannot introduce enough bubbles to keep it low.

Additionally, there it just seems to product excess air (Co2) in the chamber to the point where there is so much that the water level in the chamber itself has dropped significantly below the effluent line. I'm guessing in order to keep up I have to increase the effluent out rate to purge some of that air.

Is this somewhat common if there is too much Co2 injection vs. how much effluent rate output?

I guess I can go get the tank refilled with Co2 as maybe thats the reason why but I cannot drop the pH any lower than 7.0 at this point with the regulator maxed out...

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked the effluent coming out of the reactor to see if its dropped any? It might just be the PH probe drifting as they are known to do so.

OP
OP
J

jhuntington12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kamoer dosing pump set to 10ml min, and it is dosing steadily. Good suggestion, ill try recalibrating the probe.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will also want to test the DKH of the effluent coming out of the CARX as well. Don't trust the PH probe in your CARX as the PH will drift with the rise and fall of the tanks PH as well. Testing the DKH on effluent is the best approach on how much your dosing your tank.

OP
OP
J

jhuntington12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unbelievable, so yea - recalibrated the pH and somehow it drifted from a normal 6.5 pH to 7.8 overnight...then I couldnt get it back down lower than 7. after recalibration, it is at 4pH in the CaRx. well I am glad you suggested that and I caught it within a few days. amazed how it when haywire literally overnight.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back