Catalina goby white spots.

TSM Aquatics

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all. I've had this guy in the tank for about 7 months now. Always eats like a pig but recently noticed some white spots on fins and body. Doesn't really look like ich to me. The tank recently went through a treatment of ciprofloxacin for BJD with resolution of the BJD.

I have been reading this fish is more cold water and keeping him in warmer water can cause problems with his immune system. I keep my tank at 77 degrees with a chiller and heater. Stable all week and gets up to 78.5 on weekends.

Is this a symptom of his weakened immune system? All my other fish are healthy. Doesn't appear to be brook or ick to me.
Fish is still acting normal and eating like a champ.
20210728_124104.jpg
20210728_123938.jpg

Fritz

nereefpat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hmm. I don't know what that is, but that's something I would try to deal with in a hospital tank. I would see if you could get it in a tank in the low 70s.

Fungus in SW fish is pretty rare, but that could be what we're dealing with. I agree that it doesn't really look like a standard case of ich or velvet or brook.

Just in case he hasn't seen this, @Jay Hemdal

Sharkbait19

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I saw something similar on my shark nose goby before it died, its fins had gotten very cottony like this:
1627507167774.jpeg

Other idea could be lympocytosis on yours, the location and size of the spots is possible. It usually happens after stress.
From what I know, these gobies need cooler water, the heat may have to do with it?

OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hmm. I don't know what that is, but that's something I would try to deal with in a hospital tank. I would see if you could get it in a tank in the low 70s.

Fungus in SW fish is pretty rare, but that could be what we're dealing with. I agree that it doesn't really look like a standard case of ich or velvet or brook.

Just in case he hasn't seen this, @Jay Hemdal
Yeah possible fungus. I have access to meds but catching him will be extremely difficult as he hides in the largest rock in my aquarium

Corals.com

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all. I've had this guy in the tank for about 7 months now. Always eats like a pig but recently noticed some white spots on fins and body. Doesn't really look like ich to me. The tank recently went through a treatment of ciprofloxacin for BJD with resolution of the BJD.

I have been reading this fish is more cold water and keeping him in warmer water can cause problems with his immune system. I keep my tank at 77 degrees with a chiller and heater. Stable all week and gets up to 78.5 on weekends.

Is this a symptom of his weakened immune system? All my other fish are healthy. Doesn't appear to be brook or ick to me.
Fish is still acting normal and eating like a champ.
20210728_124104.jpg
20210728_123938.jpg
Yes - Catalina gobies do best at around 65 F. Their lifespans very much shortened at higher temperatures. It could be ich - I've been fooled by this before, the spots look a heck of a lot larger on small fish!

This could be "idiopathic mucus plugs" - some fish, notably tangs, will develop these extruded plugs of skin mucus due to some stressor - could be the heat, could be the cipro. Here is an article I wrote that discusses fish mucus:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

I think these could also be xenomas (cysts) from a microsporidian infection. There is however, no treatment for that. Fish can live with it for some time.

Jay

OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Yes - Catalina gobies do best at around 65 F. Their lifespans very much shortened at higher temperatures. It could be ich - I've been fooled by this before, the spots look a heck of a lot larger on small fish!

This could be "idiopathic mucus plugs" - some fish, notably tangs, will develop these extruded plugs of skin mucus due to some stressor - could be the heat, could be the cipro. Here is an article I wrote that discusses fish mucus:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/mucus-the-slime-that-binds.793/

I think these could also be xenomas (cysts) from a microsporidian infection. There is however, no treatment for that. Fish can live with it for some time.

Jay
Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. These spots look more fuzzy and not discreet like I've seen with prior ich infestations. Hopefully just stressed from the cipro. Will continue to monitor him. He's acting 100% normal eats a bunch.

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thanks a bunch for the detailed reply. These spots look more fuzzy and not discreet like I've seen with prior ich infestations. Hopefully just stressed from the cipro. Will continue to monitor him. He's acting 100% normal eats a bunch.
If you do try to catch him, go slowly, and then when he at the right spot, scoop him up fast.

OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
If you do try to catch him, go slowly, and then when he at the right spot, scoop him up fast.
I tried... several attempts yesterday... did not win. Probably just stressed him out more. Still eating like a champ though. Hopefully he will pull through.

AS
OP
G

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all have an awesome update for everyone. So after the weekend I came back to work to see my gobi all healed up. No signs of white spots at all! Leads me to think either A. bacterial which the cipro finally cured or B. Mucous plugs.

20210803_093058.jpg

Jay Hemdal

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi all have an awesome update for everyone. So after the weekend I came back to work to see my gobi all healed up. No signs of white spots at all! Leads me to think either A. bacterial which the cipro finally cured or B. Mucous plugs.

20210803_093058.jpg
Good deal - that rules out xenomas....

Jay

TSM Aquatics

When is the last time you purchased cleanup crew critters?

• Past few days

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • Past few weeks

Votes: 112 28.6%
  • Past few months

Votes: 129 32.9%
  • Over a half a year

Votes: 54 13.8%
  • Over a year ago

Votes: 48 12.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.0%