Cats, Birds, or Cauliflowers: What is the best SPS starter coral?

What is the best SPS starter coral?

• Seriatopora (Bird's Nest Coral)

Votes: 113 40.5%
  • Stylophora (Cat’s Paw Coral)

Votes: 67 24.0%
  • Pocillopora (Cauliflower/Brush Coral)

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 52 18.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cats, Birds, or Cauliflowers: What is the best SPS starter coral?

We often focus on Acros and Montis when we think about SPS in the hobby that sometimes there are other types of SPS (small polyp stony) corals that may get less attention. A few of these “other” corals make good starter corals. These include the Bird’s Nest corals (Seriatopora), Cat’s paw corals (Stylophora), and Cauliflower corals (Pocillopora) which are genera of corals that are part of the Pocilloporidae family. These SPS corals come from the Indian and Pacific oceans and have interesting colorations. Which would you consider to be the best starter SPS coral? Do you have a favorite? Is there another SPS coral (even a Monti or an Acro) that you would consider to be a great SPS starter coral? Even if you are not a beginner, you may be a fan of one of the SPS corals listed above, let us know your experience and please share any tips in the discussion!

swannyson7_birdsnest.jpeg

Photo by @swannyson7

If you a looking for starter corals, whether they are SPS, LPS, or softies, you may want to check out the following link to the Reef2Reef article – Choosing Corals you’re your First Reef Tank (https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/choosing-corals-for-your-first-reef-tank.824/). Remember that there are also sections on R2R that specifically focused on those new to reefing as well as SPS, LPS, and other types of corals as well as fish and invertebrates to help you along the way. Good luck with whatever you choose!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of montipora digitata that grow fast if the parameters are close enough. Success with these species is rewarding and shows that a tank is at least ok for keeping coral alive. Another almost coral, Blue ridge coral is really tough and if the water quality is good the polyps will make an appearance telling the Reefer that they are having.

The birds nest corals also share some of these properties and make them a great new tank coral for new sps keepers.

Edit: Forgot to share a tip:

Glue the coral in place when you bring it home. I have not seen any old corals snorkeling that were not “glued in place” when they first settled on the reef. Corals that move are insignificant danger from the natural elements, in the wild. Our tanks are not as forgiving as the wild if we don’t glue a frag in place and let it grow into the new situation to maximize their chances of long term survival.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say stags over all those like the blue or green slimer! They take off quick! I’ve had more problems with birds nest than any acro I’ve ever kept lol.. I think the lighting is too strong in my case..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Gets no hardier than Pocci and stylo which are both similar and can take off in a hurry with proper conditions

Jigity_jigity_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like birds nest are one of the hardiest sps in my experience, one of the few sps I’ve had that have gone all necrosis on me and then stopped and actually came back without having to intervene with super glue or dips. And they grow like hell.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of montipora digitata that grow fast if the parameters are close enough. Success with these species is rewarding and shows that a tank is at least ok for keeping coral alive.
Second this. No SPS has been more bulletproof for me (as much as SPS can be considered bulletproof) than digis. Plus who doesn't love those growth patterns

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert or pro in SPS, but I do have experience with 13-15 SPS. Altogether, the SPS corals generally have the same needs. This question highly depends on what genus you’re interested in and growth rates (or even patterns) you want.
My favourite growth wise is Acropora turaki. This Acropora has has a beautiful bottle brush growth and is one of the smooth skinned species.
87F09331-DF8E-4527-B5B6-34A18A14106E.jpeg

Now, my favourite slow growing Acropora is Acropora tenuis. My frag of it currently isn’t fully grown out but I believe I have a blue 1polyp frag of this species also growing out. But my coloured down rainbow is more of a showy piece.
image.jpg

My favourite fast growing SPS is my Seriatopora hystrix (I do have 3 Seriatopora species - one is bleaching due to a clown goby unfortunately).
image.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of my stony coral misadventures, one that’s always taken it very well has been my leptoseris. Even after melting back, all of the flesh is always back within a week of things stabilizing.

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first sps was a Psammacora contigua. It continued to thrive through all my newbie mistakes. Mine was a dark metallic green and under t-5s in my first tank it mostly encrusted with minimal branching. A frag I put in a high flow tank under LEDs developed palmate branches resembling moose antlers.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not birdsnest lol. All my other SPS including a variety of Acropora thrive and grow with good polyp extension and color, but every Seriatopora I've grown always ends up randomly deciding to RTN and leaves nothing behind.

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad this question came up; I was just thinking about what SPS I should start with in my nano. Top of my aquascape is to hot for my LPS so was looking for easy starter SPS that can grow in lower par and flow since my tank is all LPS and softies. Top of the tank is around 200 and I run an MP-10 at 20% lagoon setting.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m no expert or pro in SPS, but I do have experience with 13-15 SPS. Altogether, the SPS corals generally have the same needs. This question highly depends on what genus you’re interested in and growth rates (or even patterns) you want.
My favourite growth wise is Acropora turaki. This Acropora has has a beautiful bottle brush growth and is one of the smooth skinned species.
87F09331-DF8E-4527-B5B6-34A18A14106E.jpeg

Now, my favourite slow growing Acropora is Acropora tenuis. My frag of it currently isn’t fully grown out but I believe I have a blue 1polyp frag of this species also growing out. But my coloured down rainbow is more of a showy piece.
image.jpg

My favourite fast growing SPS is my Seriatopora hystrix (I do have 3 Seriatopora species - one is bleaching due to a clown goby unfortunately).
image.jpg
One area I didn’t mention was High vs Low par, because yes there are acros that grow well in lower PAR :)
I unfortunately don’t have my favourite Acro for lower par as my LFS is unable to grow them because of the lower par we tend to get them from.
But my number 1 Acropora for Low/medium Par (200-250) is Acropora carduus, the most common strain being the Red Dragon :)
Once this coral starts growing, you tend to get a nice big colony sooner rather than later as well.
**Not my photo!!
BD67C7A8-5F29-4812-8BE3-D1E99133FBE0.jpeg

Back