Caught by the Christmas Tree Worms! Just Having Trouble Rationalizing the Purchase...

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys so I fell in love with Christmas Tree Worms several months back while diving and have had a special love for them ever since. I've since bought two pieces with the small sized worms but this past week a few shops just happened to get in the big full sized Christmas Tree Worms in absolutely beautiful colors. The only thing is, the shop that has the healthiest pieces (both worms and Porites coral host) are asking around $200 for each piece. I know that may be the going rate where most people are but here that's pretty far out there. This shop does tend to always price their livestock higher than other shops for whatever reason so i rarely buy from them. Other shops happened to get a few in but the Porites doesn't appear nearly as healthy although that piece is only about $80. I've included pics below and it's clear which two are from the first shop and which is from the second. The worms from the second shop are still very beautiful however and they actually have less expensive pieces but this one has the most worms by far...anyway, I'm trying to work out a deal with the first shop but doubt they'll go for it. The small worms pop up for sale all the time but the big ones not very often... should i just wait a little while? They sell out in an instant but that's no reason to make a compulsive decision. What would you guys do? Just wait?
. Screenshot_2023-05-13-06-26-12-180_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-05-13-06-26-08-366_jp.naver.line.android.jpg Screenshot_2023-05-14-18-54-19-260_jp.naver.line.android.jpg

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had christmas tree worms before, I never witnessed any new babies. Kept my rock for around 5 years and they slowly died over that time span.

If you want to try, get the piece that looks most healthy. It might cost more, but you'll get more enjoyment out of it. Porites is a very strong coral, and can recover very quickly.

But, I would wait as both rocks lack a lot of the worms.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I have had christmas tree worms before, I never witnessed any new babies. Kept my rock for around 5 years and they slowly died over that time span.

If you want to try, get the piece that looks most healthy. It might cost more, but you'll get more enjoyment out of it. Porites is a very strong coral, and can recover very quickly.
Ve had the small ones on Porites coral so i do have some experience with them and absolutely love them! That's just a LOT of money for here especially....I'm trying to work out a deal with the one shop to either pay over time or help out at the shop for free since I have experience working in coral/fish stores.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Don't rule out a bad looking porites is all I am saying. It's best to find that one piece that will make you say "that's the one!" It seems like you may have.

They are great, I love them. I wish I knew how to spawn the worms though. Someone will figure it out eventually!

But, if you can get one for a good deal. Definitely take it. Not telling you not too.

They are very very expensive in my area as well. I think the last rock I saw was almost 500. I can't recall.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't rule out a bad looking porites is all I am saying. It's best to find that one piece that will make you say "that's the one!" It seems like you may have.

They are great, I love them. I wish I knew how to spawn the worms though. Someone will figure it out eventually!

But, if you can get one for a good deal. Definitely take it. Not telling you not too.

They are very very expensive in my area as well. I think the last rock I saw was almost 500. I can't recall.
True...the one going for about $80 might not have the healthiest Porites but the worms are still beautiful for a fraction of the price of the others. I do hope the more expensive shop takes me up on my offer (the manager said she needs to speak with her partner first) but I doubt they will. That shop always charges more regardless of whatever they may be selling...the less healthy Porites going for about $80 is actually about 5 inches across so it's pretty sizeable as well.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seems like a world record to me… don’t know anyone that had them survive even a year!
Maybe because they are most likely Aussey, instead of the Caribbean that used to be so common.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That seems like a world record to me… don’t know anyone that had them survive even a year!
Maybe because they are most likely Aussey, instead of the Caribbean that used to be so common.
They love a super filthy aquarium. Lots of pods, mud filled with worms and pods. My old tank was the worst and was set up just for them.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are others I've contacted on here back when I got the small worms and they've had theirs for years...you just need to make sure they have particulate matter in the water to feed on daily which isn't too difficult from my understanding

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adore them too but have never been able to purchase any :(
Saw them diving and just fell in love... I figure they're in the same category as all the too-big or non-reef-safe fish I can't keep, lol.

If you've had success before, I'd say go for it ;)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adore them too but have never been able to purchase any :(
Saw them diving and just fell in love... I figure they're in the same category as all the too-big or non-reef-safe fish I can't keep, lol.

If you've had success before, I'd say go for it ;)
They're amazing in and out of the aquarium! I know the pieces i showed would probably go for twice what they're charging here where you are but if you ever get the chance, they're absolutely amazing!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're amazing in and out of the aquarium! I know the pieces i showed would probably go for twice what they're charging here where you are but if you ever get the chance, they're absolutely amazing!
We just don't get pieces in my area like that. The few I've seen in shops have had 5-6 of the the smaller worms and mostly muted colors... And for about $200 per fist-sized rock.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just don't get pieces in my area like that. The few I've seen in shops have had 5-6 of the the smaller worms and mostly muted colors... And for about $200 per fist-sized rock.
That's what I'm thinking...if I ever end up having to head back to the States I really don't want to feel as if i missed my chance to keep livestock like this. There's no way I'd be able to even start to afford these pieces in the States...any of them. That's why I'm always thinking "will I really have another opportunity"? The big worms don't show up here very often either...I've been waiting a while hoping they'd come in.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I've seen aren't "tree-shaped", but look more like typical fan worm crowns.
That's not quite as cool imo...i mean i love colorful fan worms as well but Christmas Tree Worms are just something else to me...the ones in the pics i attached are pretty ideal tbh...they have a nice spiral that comes to a point and are sizeable.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not quite as cool imo...i mean i love colorful fan worms as well but Christmas Tree Worms are just something else to me...the ones in the pics i attached are pretty ideal tbh...they have a nice spiral that comes to a point and are sizeable.
These are apparently also considered Xmas tree worms...

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are apparently also considered Xmas tree worms...
Haha yes Xmas tree worms...either way, i know I want them...just always had trouble justifying prices. Like I said though, you never know if you'll have another chance to get them at that price at that quality and i love these guys.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back