Caulastrea curvata not pumping + Discosoma mushroom fraging questione

SajmonPL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Collegues

My tank is already 2 months old and during that time I had many problems with Cyano/Dino and high NO3 level. It seems now that all these problem are behind me at least for now. I still have a problem with Caulastrea curvata which shrunk to a certain level few weeks ago and do not grow. Water parameters, at least NO3 is much better as I was starting with 100 mg/l and now is less than 10 mg/l. I am doing 10% water replacement on weekly basis and keep the tank clean. Any suggestions what might cause that Caulastrea curvata stopped growning. I will buy and proper testing set in few days so I can check other parameters of water.

I have another question this time about Discosoma mushroom red fragging. I am planning to frag one of the mushrooms as it is growing over a smaller one. From time to time the smaller one somehow manages stick his head out. I would like to make some more room. Can I just cut the side of the mushroom which is growing over the smaller mushroom or I need to do it as I saw on few fragging videos where I need to cut in the middle of the mushroom. I would like to know your experiences and do not want to harm the mushroom as it is growing really nice and fast. I also red somewhere that it is also possible to cut directly on the base/leg which is connected to the rock. It was said that a new one will grow from the part which will be left on the rock.

Thank you in advance for your comments

20221220_154001.jpg 20221220_154015.jpg 20221220_154049.jpg

BreezyMM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't attempt to cut or frag the mushroom. The little one will eventually move and find some light for itself. They will eventually take over the rock =).

Source: I have a rock full of mushrooms.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the caulatrea, the first thing I would do is pull the whole frag out, clean off all the algea, remove the aiptasia, brush the coral to free it of algae and put it back and see if it doesn't perk up a bit. Just the first thing I'd do, I'll let others chime in...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back