Caulerpa brachypus in the US?

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get my hands on some C. brachypus. However, I can't for the life of me seem to find anyone in North America who sells this species or someplace that can ship it internationally. I know it can be invasive (like all Caulerpa spp.), but I'm not against aggressive trimming if I need to. I want it for my tiny tank I just started, since most others will quickly be too large in a pico and overwhelm it.

Anyone know where to get some? Or could someone on here have it and be willing to ship to me if I pay for it?

All input appreciated.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species of Caulerpa are illegal to sell in some states. California being one. As a lot of importers and wholesalers are and are not going to take the chance of selling any Caulerpa.
IFYI the proper way to dispose of Caulerpa is to freeze it first.

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some species of Caulerpa are illegal to sell in some states. California being one. As a lot of importers and wholesalers are and are not going to take the chance of selling any Caulerpa.
I know many are illegal in CA. So far as I know, none are illegal in Colorado, where I'm at, considering we're landlocked.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No importer or wholesaler is going to risk having any type in California. I am guessing most of what the stores in Co get passes through CA. Believe me, if live Caulerpa gets in to a water way in Colorado there is a possibility for it make it to the ocean. The stuff is really hard to truly kill without freezing.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They sell some, but it appears to only be valid for Singapore.

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They sell some, but it appears to only be valid for Singapore.
Yeah, I found them. Unfortunately only able to ship within Singapore.

I'm sure some commonly sold Caulerpa comes through CA, but I know a lot also comes from the gulf coast as well.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been to all the wholesales in so CA many times and never seen any Caulerpa. It would be totally foolish for them to risk the large fines involved for the few dollars selling Caulerpa would bring.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Prolifera, same family and similar shape. I believe it does grow quicker and a bit larger compare to the Brachypus. Disregard, just saw it was for a pico which might be the reason you avoided this particular one.

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Prolifera, same family and similar shape. I believe it does grow quicker and a bit larger compare to the Brachypus. Disregard, just saw it was for a pico which might be the reason you avoided this particular one.
Yep, I'm afraid it's just too large. I like the look of it, and I have actually seen prolifera in a similarly sized pico. But I still think it could just overgrow the space available too quickly. I may have a better chance at getting some C. verticillata from reefcleaners or maybe by request from GCE. A small species, also could be very weedy, but maybe controllable attached to its own island away from anything else?
I have been to all the wholesales in so CA many times and never seen any Caulerpa. It would be totally foolish for them to risk the large fines involved for the few dollars selling Caulerpa would bring.
I'm definitely not disagreeing. Doesn't mean these species aren't available elsewhere though.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have some of this and it is a pain. Even after hitting my system with fluconazole everything seemed to die off - but it is back already. My clowns actually used to sleep in it.

These pics were from before I hit the system with fluc.

Shame it is a beautiful algae, just crazy invasive. If you ever need more, feel free to PM me. This stuff seems to grow daily.

Btw - any suggestion on eradication from a reef tank, please pass it over.

1632451065813.png

1632451101186.png

1632451127629.png

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have some of this and it is a pain. Even after hitting my system with fluconazole everything seemed to die off - but it is back already. My clowns actually used to sleep in it.

Shame it is a beautiful algae, just crazy invasive. If you ever need more, feel free to PM me. This stuff seems to grow daily.

1632451065813.png

1632451101186.png

1632451127629.png
That is some amazing Sargassum! Where did you source it from?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To my knowledge, many species of Caulerpa are legal in California, including C. brachypus.

inland_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it’s only prolifera and paspaloides that are legal in California but that may be changing as there was a pretty bad breach of prolifera out of a bay in California and it’s growing like crazy.

when freezing caulerpa, just be aware that it still may hold the potential to survive (gamete dispersal) even after being frozen. Definitely needs to be in a freezer for a while and then disposed of well away from any water source. This stuff is super resilient. I’m running an experiment right now to really see the ability of prolifera. I’ve had a handful of it in a ziploc bag with no water sitting in no light under the tank in the stand for probably the last 4ish months. Stuff is still green and looks like I could put it back in the tank and it would survive. Insane!

OP if you find a good seller, I’m also interested in some C. brachypus. Such a cool short blade caulerpa great for technical macro aquascaping.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure it’s only prolifera and paspaloides that are legal in California but that may be changing as there was a pretty bad breach of prolifera out of a bay in California and it’s growing like crazy.
Only 9 species of Caulerpa are illegal in California (though not sure about San Diego). Here they are:
A Guide to the Nine Species of Caulerpa Banned in California
Some more common species in the trade that are legal:
Caulerpa prolifera
Caulerpa brachypus
Caulerpa serrulata
Caulerpa lentillifera
Caulerpa chemnitzia
(was once known as Caulerpa peltata)
Caulerpa cylindracea
Caulerpa paspaloides

when freezing caulerpa, just be aware that it still may hold the potential to survive (gamete dispersal) even after being frozen. Definitely needs to be in a freezer for a while and then disposed of well away from any water source. This stuff is super resilient. I’m running an experiment right now to really see the ability of prolifera. I’ve had a handful of it in a ziploc bag with no water sitting in no light under the tank in the stand for probably the last 4ish months. Stuff is still green and looks like I could put it back in the tank and it would survive. Insane!
Fascinating! Perhaps I might want to experiment with mine (Caulerpa prolifera) as well.
OP if you find a good seller, I’m also interested in some C. brachypus. Such a cool short blade caulerpa great for technical macro aquascaping.
@MaxTremors already provided a link to indoorcoral on eBay:
I think I replied to you on nano reef, but here you go, great seller:

I bought their Caulerpa brachypus a little over a week ago. Amazing specimen!
3F5355E1-05B3-448B-B236-21C93D1A8FFC.jpeg

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is some amazing Sargassum! Where did you source it from?
Ordered from GCE when it was back in season.

I can probably ship you some, I’ll dm you on ig.

OP
OP
A

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1632451065813.png

1632451101186.png

1632451127629.png

Unfortunately, I had to break down my existing tanks when I moved states recently. I would definitely be interested in the future, though! Once I am a little more established here, I do want to set up a small tank. I pretty much wanted to set up something where I could let some C. brachypus and maybe an easy "pest" coral just go wild and take over. Something requiring little maintenance aside from occasional algae trimming. I have various terrariums and love growing plants, so I wanted to branch into marine macroalgae.

Only 9 species of Caulerpa are illegal in California (though not sure about San Diego). Here they are:
A Guide to the Nine Species of Caulerpa Banned in California
Some more common species in the trade that are legal:
Caulerpa prolifera
Caulerpa brachypus
Caulerpa serrulata
Caulerpa lentillifera
Caulerpa chemnitzia
(was once known as Caulerpa peltata)
Caulerpa cylindracea
Caulerpa paspaloides

Fascinating! Perhaps I might want to experiment with mine (Caulerpa prolifera) as well.

@MaxTremors already provided a link to indoorcoral on eBay:

I bought their Caulerpa brachypus a little over a week ago. Amazing specimen!
3F5355E1-05B3-448B-B236-21C93D1A8FFC.jpeg
Good to know you had a good experience ordering from indoorcoral on the Bay of E. I will keep them in mind!

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get my hands on some C. brachypus. However, I can't for the life of me seem to find anyone in North America who sells this species or someplace that can ship it internationally. I know it can be invasive (like all Caulerpa spp.), but I'm not against aggressive trimming if I need to. I want it for my tiny tank I just started, since most others will quickly be too large in a pico and overwhelm it.

Anyone know where to get some? Or could someone on here have it and be willing to ship to me if I pay for it?

All input appreciated.
do not buy Caulerpa brachypus ,I accidentally picked up some spores that must have came on the rocks. This is my smallest tank ever (5 gallon Fluval Evo) I had to upgrade the lights but all types of coral were and are doing great Caulerpa brachypus is literally growing through the rocks and up through Zoa and mushroom colonies. It grows faster the more you pick because you can NEVE get to the roots. I am desperate in trying to find a way to remove it. I have tried vibrant and have fluconazole waiting but first I am going to try a foxface who is said to eat it like candy and then I will introduce him to my 100g FOWLR TANK! If anyone knows how to eliminate Caulerpa brachypus without removing rocks (every single one is covered in corals) Please respond! [email protected]

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

All input appreciated.
DO NOT EVER INTRUDUCE THIS MONSTER INTO YOUR TANK! MAYBE IF YOU HAVE A FOXFACE RABBIT FISH TO KEEP IT UNDER CONTROL. it roots itself deep into the rock and rocks you have coral that has been permanently attached or glued to your rocks. It even grows through my GSP, Zoas and all around my mushrooms. I can't get rid of it and have tried over $500 in supplements to kill it off.. If you feel the need for Macroalge I beg you to get any kind of refuge or even in your sump. If you still want it, keep it in a nylon bag. I don't know where mine came from. I dip all my corals and rocks. I have even asked John from reefcleaners.com and his suggestions was pitho or emerald crabs who look at it an laugh! Keep this harmful junk away from any tank containing coral and any tank without a few foxface, depending on the size. If anyone else knows a way to eliminate this monster that I pick with tweezers daily please let me know at [email protected] (thjhiggins1 at geemail dot. come

Thanks & best wishes!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back