Caulerpa chemnitzia going sexual?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is one of my Caulerpa chemnitzia (Caulerpa peltata) specimens going sexual? All of its blades are starting to look a little pale and splotchy.
The specimen in question:
73677732-AC24-45EE-91E4-241E4E676455.jpeg

Its healthy looking companion (and yes, I can see that Aiptasia):
D3A2AED1-9BCD-4A9E-B379-AB934B93BCE5.jpeg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a different type of Caulerpa, and it would do the same. Go Clear at the tips (as in first photo below)
Those tips would die off but main peice went on.

This was a basement tank that was the main filter for the Upstair Kitchen Tank.
MacroAlgaeOutbreak.jpg

IT WAS NOT A DISPLAY TANK, but fun to visit. Had one fish. The Copperband you see at bottom. He had pods galore.

One thing to note. When the Caulerpa can have a instant mass event releasing it green substance.

One morning I woke up and the KITCHEN DISPLAY tank was like this. Cloudy (Green).
The Filtration Tank with the Caulerpa was all transparent Caulerpa remenants. Kind of a Mass Bleach Event.
MacroAlgaeEvent-1.jpg

Nothing happened to the Corals. I ran carbon and things cleared up. The dead Algae was removed.

It shouldn't be an issue with your small piece. Die off can happen.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a different type of Caulerpa, and it would do the same. Go Clear at the tips (as in first photo below)
Those tips would die off but main peice went on.

This was a basement tank that was the main filter for the Upstair Kitchen Tank.
MacroAlgaeOutbreak.jpg

IT WAS NOT A DISPLAY TANK, but fun to visit. Had one fish. The Copperband you see at bottom. He had pods galore.

One thing to note. When the Caulerpa can have a instant mass event releasing it green substance.

One morning I woke up and the KITCHEN DISPLAY tank was like this. Cloudy (Green).
The Filtration Tank with the Caulerpa was all transparent Caulerpa remenants. Kind of a Mass Bleach Event.
MacroAlgaeEvent-1.jpg

Nothing happened to the Corals. I ran carbon and things cleared up. The dead Algae was removed.

It shouldn't be an issue with your small piece. Die off can happen.
Awesome looking tank! Thanks for the effort to write this! I feel much more reassured now!
If anything goes wrong, I can always pull out some BRS carbon, Poly-Filter, and my Macro Aqua M-50 HOB Protein Skimmer.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very possible. Here's a pic of C.prolifera going sexual if that helps.
1632116499952.png
Here's one of a similar variety.
1632116783367.png
Fantastic photos! My Caulerpa chemnitzia has not reached the state of the image #2 algae, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

You’re so active on this site! I love seeing your informative posts!

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep an eye on it for now. I see you have some Aiptasia to kill in the meantime. ;)
I have been considering Berghia nudibranchs for a few months, though my Nero 5 looks like it could make quick work of them :(. Maybe I should try a Peppermint shrimp instead (no corals for it to potentially consume in my build). Love its looks!

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering Berghia nudibranchs for a few months, though my Nero 5 looks like it could make quick work of them :(. Maybe I should try a Peppermint shrimp instead (no corals for it to potentially consume in my build). Love its looks!
The Berghia are a good option. Peppermints are very hit or miss. Personally, I zap Aiptasia with a laser. I've been doing it for some time and have had great results. I know many say it just helps spread them but in my experience they don't spread any faster than any of the other common methods. I zap an average of 3-4 tiny ones a week and it's much quicker and easier than other methods for me. I don't even have to open the lid. I just zap them through the glass. I do it at night when the fish are in hiding. Obviously, there are some precautions necessary with this method but it works well for me.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: not much has changed… and that’s mostly it.
B53A774F-01D4-4A1E-B5F1-F91F3E0E3321.jpeg
Though I don't have much to add here, that sponge is so cool! Do you know what it is? How have to cared for it? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I would love to know.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I don't have much to add here, that sponge is so cool! Do you know what it is? How have to cared for it? Sorry to hijack the thread, but I would love to know.
Looks like a Clathrina sponge to me. They're pretty common hitchikers. Pretty hardy as well.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5448B4F5-0CCA-4859-8632-B138871B964F.jpeg

This guy? It’s pink in coloration with some diatom growth on it (I have got to get something more substantial than Dove snails). Not sure about the exact species (maybe Clathrina, as @Isopod80 said). I found it on some live rock at my LFS, got it bagged in water, and have seen it slowly grow for nearly a month. I do not do much to care for it, although the lack of a skimmer on my system and the two doses of Kent Marine PhytoPlex I have used so far used probably help.
Edit: The skimmer I mentioned in a previous post is currently lying around, ready for usage whenever need be.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5448B4F5-0CCA-4859-8632-B138871B964F.jpeg

This guy? It’s pink in coloration with some diatom growth on it (I have got to get something more substantial than Dove snails). Not sure about the exact species (maybe Clathrina, as @Isopod80 said). I found it on some live rock at my LFS, got it bagged in water, and have seen it slowly grow for nearly a month. I do not do much to care for it, although the lack of a skimmer on my system and the two doses of Kent Marine PhytoPlex I have used so far used probably help.
Edit: The skimmer I mentioned in a previous post is currently lying around, ready for usage whenever need be.
That's so neat, thanks. I've got a few colonies of a yellow Clathrina throughout my tank, I'll keep an eye out for other species.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back