Caulerpa - how to kill

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - good news and bad news

The good news, caulerpa is really getting knocked back, bad news my po4 is spiking like crazy lol. Who'd have thunk this stuff was keeping po4 under check... My po4 shot up to .27 ppm and I have been using Phosphat-e in an attempt to control it a bit. I've also turned on my skimmer and have been changing socks daily. No3 has gone up as well, before it was near 0 ppm, now it is hovering around 5 ppm.

Currently I am debating if I should go for a round 2 or just wait it out before I do the water change. Any input is appreciated.

I can see the rock finally.
lauren hashian win GIF

Fluc Treatment 1-12 to 1-24.jpg

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep going man, my phosphate spiked a bit as well. All the nutrients gotta go somewhere without the caulerpa lol

spideybry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Moving in the right direction

So things are still going. There's a couple stragglers around here and there, but it's crazy how much this stuff has died off. I've yet to do a WC or add more fluc though. Figured I could just wait and see how it does at this point.

My po4 was a bit lower after hitting the tank with Phosphat-e thankfully, seemed to work for it's intended purpose and my ATS is working as well since I am getting growth on it.

SPS corals aren't happy, from the po4 spike I am assuming, but that's was a necessary evil.

Fluc Treatment 1-12 to 2-1.jpg

Stylo area 1-21 to 2-1.jpg

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see there are plenty of fellow caulerpa lovers. I just took out a bowl full of it, took me a good hour, the problem is that it's starting to grow in and over corals. So i looked up the fish i could keep that love caulerpa and it's amazing how much minimum tank size varies on the internet. I got a 85 g Dt with 15g Sump, looked at Foxface(said from min 70 to 125 g),
doliatus rabbitfish(said from min. 60 to 210g), and Tomini Tang( min 70 g).
I think Foxface and Doliatus Rabbitfish will grow to big for my tank but Tomini Tang should be fine, wouldn't it?
Here a pic of the Caulerpa:

Attachments

• 20220207_172025[1].jpg
    20220207_172025[1].jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 41

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will reef flux kill all the other types of macro algae as well? Or does it only attack caulerpa?
My understanding is that it is broad spectrum algae remedy but I have not used it. I’ve had a red wire algae that ran amok like caulerpa but eventually it went away. Two years clean and with rising phosphate it has started to show up around my system again. I may have to try it but I am also thinking about setting up a refugium. Chemical or competition or low nutrients all can work.

2000se

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that it is broad spectrum algae remedy but I have not used it. I’ve had a red wire algae that ran amok like caulerpa but eventually it went away. Two years clean and with rising phosphate it has started to show up around my system again. I may have to try it but I am also thinking about setting up a refugium. Chemical or competition or low nutrients all can work.
Thanks. I have a ton a great macro in the tank now that I would not like to disturb.

OP
OP
dvgyfresh

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will reef flux kill all the other types of macro algae as well? Or does it only attack caulerpa
I Used it and I have a refugium with chaeto ,chaeto was unharmed lol so for me it was just the caulerpa in DT

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - Moving in the right direction

So things are still going. There's a couple stragglers around here and there, but it's crazy how much this stuff has died off. I've yet to do a WC or add more fluc though. Figured I could just wait and see how it does at this point.

My po4 was a bit lower after hitting the tank with Phosphat-e thankfully, seemed to work for it's intended purpose and my ATS is working as well since I am getting growth on it.

SPS corals aren't happy, from the po4 spike I am assuming, but that's was a necessary evil.

Fluc Treatment 1-12 to 2-1.jpg

Stylo area 1-21 to 2-1.jpg
How is the caulerpa situation now? Is it all gone and none came back? I am at day 9 and can see it melting away now.
Just wondering if it goes for good coz my bta's ain't the happiest since reef flux is in the water.

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Wish I had Caulerpa, I would love it as I want to feed my foxface with it. But so far mine is not doing well. I am sure the foxface would take care of it in no time.
I have a serious Brachypus infestation...I can't remove coral and was rocks. The Caulerpa grows right through my once beautiful Zoas and even continues to grow when it hits the wave maker. I can't manually remove it because I would literally be plucking zoas. I have tried emerald crabs, a foxface and even went so desperate to try VIBRANT not a single one of them helped. Here is just one tiny pic of it ruining a zoa colony and growing around and out of the polyps.....Can anyone help me? I am so desperate

Attachments

• 20240104_171017.jpg
    20240104_171017.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 19

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different type of Caulerpa and some are a lot more aggressive than others. I do not have any corals, only macro and I only started about 2 years ago, it was slow going at the beginning, and I do not mind if they cover my rocks.
I have noticed that one type of algae grows a lot and look like it is going to take everything over, then disappear, and is replaced by another type and I do not know why. The red ones are a lot less invasive than the green ones, at least that what I am observing but I do not know how to help you especially that I know nothing about corals.
Maybe the people I bought my algae from, Golf Coast Ecosystem could help you, or Algae Barn as they sell some too.
My foxface loves my Caulerpa, I do not know if it would eat coral too, but if you do not have one, you could try. I cannot grow any algae at all in its tank.
I hope you will be able to find a solution and I am sorry I cannot help you.

Kmst80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a serious Brachypus infestation...I can't remove coral and was rocks. The Caulerpa grows right through my once beautiful Zoas and even continues to grow when it hits the wave maker. I can't manually remove it because I would literally be plucking zoas. I have tried emerald crabs, a foxface and even went so desperate to try VIBRANT not a single one of them helped. Here is just one tiny pic of it ruining a zoa colony and growing around and out of the polyps.....Can anyone help me? I am so desperate
How much do you feed your foxface? My foxy would diminish that algae in a day.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back