Caulerpa Prolifera rhizomes, or going sexual?

SeabassG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1928.JPG
I put some caulerpa prolifera in my fuge about two weeks ago, and some of leaves started going translucent and decaying. I don't know if it was exclamation stress or if it went sexual, but now there's a bunch of these little white whiskery growths.

From Reading some articles I think that is the new growth in the form of rhizomes which would be a good thing since it's growing, but if it's not and it's starting to go sexual, I want to be able to get it out.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, what ended up happening?

Reefin Dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those are rhizomes. not a problem, but any Caulerpa is a holocarpy risk when it starts to fill a space and gets crowded.

G~

OP
OP
SeabassG

SeabassG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. So like Reefin said- figured out they were just the rhizomes. Also, I found the hard way to make sure to trim them before they start getting crowded. As long as you keep them trimmed they’re awesome at nurient reduction without having to worry about a bunch of stuff floating around(chaeto)

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news then. I just got some and notice something similar. I been having a hard time with my cheato I think it died

OP
OP
SeabassG

SeabassG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I fought my chaeto for a while and didn’t like it. I don’t run filter socks, so as soon as some started to die, it blew all over my tank. That’s when I found the caulerpa and also added some dragons breath. Both do great in my fuge without worrying about the mess.

Back