Caulerpa racemosa?

Grumpy Bass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Grumpybass here, I've not posted in way too long (sorry). About 4 weeks ago I noticed a "new" growth in one of my overflow boxes. A little background... I have not added anything in the past 3 years and that was a Blue Tang, prior to that, no corals, rocks or anything else in over 5 years. All this being said, this stuff came out of nowhere and grew from a little bunch to this (shown below) which is over 11" wide in 4 weeks! I have lots of softies and LPS, 4 fish, ton's of micro creatures including those small brittle stars (about 1-2"). Everything seems OK except this explosion!

1. Is this horrible?
2. Should I move it to my Sump with the Cheato?
3. Should I eliminate it completely?

I appreciate any guidance you might offer please.

I certainly need a water change, it's been too long and please don't ask about other water parameters as I have not taken any recently (i know, i know)....

IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG
IMG_2597.JPG

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
grape caulerpa.

1. Is this horrible?
Just a macro algae, herbivores may like it (some eat it and some don't but my old foxface did).
2. Should I move it to my Sump with the Cheato?
Up to you
3. Should I eliminate it completely?
Again up to you, if it's growing then that means it is sucking something up (can't remember if they "eat" phosphates or nitrates.)

OP
OP
G

Grumpy Bass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any input is appreciated. The Caulerpa has no balls (grapes) so I think its the Racemosa but looking for confirmation.

Any thoughts how how this stuff could set idle for literally years and years then just explode?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is the peltata variety of Caulerpa racemosa. It can be a very bad pest if it gets established in your display, unless you have a great herbivore such as a foxface. I had it for years in my refugia and had to get such a fish.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gotcha, sorry I didn't know that grape caulerpa was only bubbles. Well, while I don't know the name of the caulerpa; I have it in my fuge and agree with Randy, it can take over if it touches your rocks.

As far as how you got it. If I had to wager, I would say that you may have always had it, but something was eating it down. Maybe a piece broke off and when it got stuck in the overflow, it started growing since the eater couldn't get to it.

OP
OP
G

Grumpy Bass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, do you think removing it from my tank/overflow and putting it into the refugium is a bad idea? I have a powder blue tang but he/she shows no interest.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back