Caulerpa went sexual, need help!

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is 80 gallons and I’m fairly new to the hobby. I mistakenly got caulerpa cause I wanted live plants and long story short the caulerpa went sexual turning my tank greenish yellow.
Tank temp 78
Nitrates low - (I have api test strips so no exact numbers)
Nitrites low
salinity 1.022
Ammonia spiked today at 1 which is due to the caulerpa I think.

I have a rabbitfish - who is doing extremely poor due to the oxygen levels being affected by the caulerpa, two clowns, a dragon goby, fire shrimp, 2 bumblebee snails, an emerald crab, and a bi color angel fish. Tank has been up for 3 weeks. Just looking for the course of action for dealing with the caulerpa. And please I’m new so hold your punches.

also my idea right now is to go buy a UV sterilizer and do a large water change tomorrow

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the remaining caulerpa if you haven't already, and yes do some big water changes to get that water out of there

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my tank is 80 gallons and I’m fairly new to the hobby. I mistakenly got caulerpa cause I wanted live plants and long story short the caulerpa went sexual turning my tank greenish yellow.
Tank temp 78
Nitrates low - (I have api test strips so no exact numbers)
Nitrites low
salinity 1.022
Ammonia spiked today at 1 which is due to the caulerpa I think.

I have a rabbitfish - who is doing extremely poor due to the oxygen levels being affected by the caulerpa, two clowns, a dragon goby, fire shrimp, 2 bumblebee snails, an emerald crab, and a bi color angel fish. Tank has been up for 3 weeks. Just looking for the course of action for dealing with the caulerpa. And please I’m new so hold your punches.

also my idea right now is to go buy a UV sterilizer and do a large water change tomorrow
How did it go sexual did you turn the lights out on it?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank has only been running for 3 weeks then there could be a multitude of issues. First is ammonia not being processed into nitrite and nitrate as evidenced by your numbers. I would say that green color is more likely Algea blooming than Caulerpa in a 3week old tank.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have the fish been in the tank? And how long have you had the caulerpa?

Do you have an extra powerhead or airstone that you can add to increase oxygen in the short term?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks really isn’t long enough for a new tank to cycle properly. Best advice for a new reefer is to slow down. Caulerpa was popular in reef tanks 20 years ago but fell out of favor because it’s either invasive and impossible to remove or it goes sexual and releases all it’s contents into the tank. Water changes and run carbon. UV isn't likely to help.

Rlreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate, that seems like a heavy stock load for a brand new tank. I would do a 30% water change followed by 10% bi daily for two cycles while daily testing your water.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back