Cause of death?

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a watchman goby 3 days ago. Little guy. 3 days in QT, he’s dead. Little hole on the side. What happened?!? Freshwater dip of corpse had no flukes. He’s in qt w 4 other fish but doesn’t look like a bite. It’s literally a hole

A16800E8-8E7C-4704-9B1F-EBA3EC8E2E13.jpeg

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell which type of watchman it is. Is it a sand sifter? If so, he may have starved to death in QT (and may have been starving when you received it)
Yes. Sand sifter. I’ve had a watchman goby before get through qt w no substrate. He would eat flakes and pellets. But this guy came in so tiny. I think I’ll try w a patch of sand for the next guy.
May have starved. That’s a terrible thought. But what’s w the hole?

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the hole, one of the other fish probably took a bite after he died is my guess. Sand sifters are really hard to quarantine if you're trying to do a long term one because they frequently won't eat (or get enough to eat) even if you have sand in the QT. I'll admit to having cut QT short before for a couple diamond watchman gobies

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the hole, one of the other fish probably took a bite after he died is my guess. Sand sifters are really hard to quarantine if you're trying to do a long term one because they frequently won't eat (or get enough to eat) even if you have sand in the QT. I'll admit to having cut QT short before for a couple diamond watchman gobies
You might be right about the hole. Who knows

sand sifters are hard to get through qt for sure. I’ve had limited success keeping a Tupperware of substrate in the tank w a Little Rock on top to help em feel comfortable. They dig themselves a burrow and get to sift a bit of sand. I think I’ll try that next time.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The belly sunken in looks like starvation... not sure with the hole, though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 132 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back