Cause of Green hair algae

Beats001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the actual cause of green hair algae?
I have read so many differing opinions on this. Maybe its all of the below:
1) high nitrates
2) high phosophates
3) Out of balance nitrates and phosophates (redfield ratio)
4) high silicates
5) Not enough CUC
6) Too much light
7) All of above
8) something else?

I see peoples tanks with say nitrates of 4 and phosophates of 0.4 and they don't have hair algae.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While i think many of the above plays a factor, i think phosphates are the biggest concern. That’s why GHA is so useful in reactors, it strips phosphates out of the water.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1,2, & 5. Additionally, many algaes (including hair algae) are able to utilize ammonia as a nitrogen source. This means that even if your phosphate and nitrate are very low, it can still grow.

The trick to keeping algae at bay has less to do with low nitrate and phosphate, and more to do with maintaining inhospitable conditions in your Aquarium for the algae to grow. After all, algae need the same things to grow as coral - so If there is no algae growth at all, chances are your corals are not growing either! :) The inhospitable conditions are accomplished using a combination of all methods below:

1. Manual removal (this is your best tool while you are waiting for the tank to cycle/mature)
2. Adequate cleanup crew
3. Healthy/mature bacterial population
4. Healthy coralline algae population
5. Large/mature coral-based bio load

Hope this helps

:)

nitrodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone will have their own opinion on this. But based off what I've personally seen I'd say 3, 5 and 8-i believe some algae has to do with bacteria/tank maturity.

Lots of mature tanks running higher then "normal" phosphate and nitrate with no real algae growth.

oversd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1,2, & 5. Additionally, many algaes (including hair algae) are able to utilize ammonia as a nitrogen source. This means that even if your phosphate and nitrate are very low, it can still grow.

The trick to keeping algae at bay has less to do with low nitrate and phosphate, and more to do with maintaining inhospitable conditions in your Aquarium for the algae to grow. After all, algae need the same things to grow as coral - so If there is no algae growth at all, chances are your corals are not growing either! :) The inhospitable conditions are accomplished using a combination of all methods below:

1. Manual removal (this is your best tool while you are waiting for the tank to cycle/mature)
2. Adequate cleanup crew
3. Healthy/mature bacterial population
4. Healthy coralline algae population
5. Large/mature coral-based bio load

Hope this helps

:)
ok just asking to add more onto this in away of my tank: which is a 125 just over a year old

As for manually remove it I hate doing this I want to take my hand out of the tank and enjoy it. How can I prevent it?, I don't want to put a UV on they scare me. I wouldn't mind entertaining the idea of something else such at algae scrubber but I feel as they are not need and can do it much easier and simpler

clean up crew what's the best for algae? I do have a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, some crabs and snails I can't remember what types. (honestly I really don't know much about them got them before I really learned)

Whats the best way to grow Coralline Algae? Does Alk, and Cal effected the coralline algae growth. I do have some small spots here and there but only small ones.

As for bio load, this is a thought I have always had in the back of my head. I was told in the beginning of my reef keeping days is if I keep my Nitrate high then phos ill Never have algae, so my thought process is well if I have more fish I would feed more in which they would poop more and naturally feed my coral, plus the fish I would get would help eat algae for me and then coral would grow where the algae would be their for no algae after awhile and it was done all natural. I may been thinking of this wrong and please let me know if I am.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my tank, phosphates and silicates were the reason for my GHA. I started using my RODI unit at home since I beat the GHA beast and haven’t had issues since.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok just asking to add more onto this in away of my tank: which is a 125 just over a year old

As for manually remove it I hate doing this I want to take my hand out of the tank and enjoy it.

The idea isn't to use this as your main tool - I want to keep my hands out of the tank and enjoy it too. The idea is that until there are other things keeping algae in check, manual removal is the quickest way to do it. I should have added that real estate taken up by corals/coraline help with this as well. As your tank matures (a year is still very young - my display is over a year old, and I just added the first few corals yesterday :) )

APC_0328.jpg

How can I prevent it?

You simply cannot. You can only keep it in check. :)

I don't want to put a UV on they scare me.

A quality UV unit should not scare you.... Well, except maybe the price tag. I use one, but recently took it offline because I started dosing vinegar. I love it, and it keeps my water crystal clear. It is not a necessary piece of reef gear, to help with algae or otherwise.

I wouldn't mind entertaining the idea of something else such at algae scrubber but I feel as they are not need and can do it much easier and simpler

Aside from a large nutrient uptake by corals, this is a great way to naturally keep algae in the display in check. You are right, however, they are not needed and they (along with refugiums) have their drawbacks. What is the simplest way for you? This will be your answer.....

I am currently using vinegar to keep nitrates in check, and Lanthanum Chloride to keep my phosphates in check. Very simple for me, and much less maintenance than a refugium or scrubber.

clean up crew what's the best for algae? I do have a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, some crabs and snails I can't remember what types. (honestly I really don't know much about them got them before I really learned)

Like you have already done, purchasing livestock and clean up crew specifically to help manage algae growth is another great way. I have several tangs in my tank (bristle-tooth varieties seem to be best for eating algae), and I also have 10 or so Trochus snails and 3 or 4 Astrea snails. The snails are my favorite, and the Trochus are the work-horses of the bunch. Mithrax and hermit crabs can help as well - both with eating the algae, and consuming uneaten fish food.

Whats the best way to grow Coralline Algae?

The cheapest way is to just buy a few pieces of rubble, rock, or shells with the coraline already on it, and place it on the rocks in your tank. You can also buy live coraline algae cultures, although these generally cost more, and are slower to work.

Does Alk, and Cal effected the coralline algae growth. I do have some small spots here and there but only small ones.

Absolutely. Coraline is one of the best markers that you can have to let you know your tank is ready for more sensitive coral species. As with your stony corals, a consistent, steady level is required for coraline growth. Generally, if you are not getting noticeable coraline growth, your parameters are not stable enough, and/or your phosphate may be a little too high. Especially in new tanks, keeping the phosphate and nitrate at reasonable levels will help very much.

As for bio load, this is a thought I have always had in the back of my head. I was told in the beginning of my reef keeping days is if I keep my Nitrate high then phos ill Never have algae, so my thought process is well if I have more fish I would feed more in which they would poop more and naturally feed my coral, plus the fish I would get would help eat algae for me and then coral would grow where the algae would be their for no algae after awhile and it was done all natural. I may been thinking of this wrong and please let me know if I am.

I think you are on the right track here. Yes, your fish are part of the clean up crew, and can be a tremendous addition with regards to keeping your corals fed well. A combination of manual removal, reasonable nitrate and phosphate levels, and a solid cleanup crew all help until the tank is more mature, and more real estate is taken up by your corals or coraline algae. Again, the idea is to keep it in check. You will find that older you system is (assuming your not making substantial changes or causing destabilization events) the more you will see your tank finds a balance of nutrient uptake, growth, and export on its own. :)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back