OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet build. Just throwing this out there.. I just purchased an entire sheet of black acrylic to make overflows on my tank and a friends tank. I could make you a toothless "ghost" overflow. Simple weir design, completely silent and EASY to keep clean. I will never scrub an overflow tooth again.
I would take the offer but I’m in Australia, a bit far :( ... but keen to see some photos :)

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the Synergy ones :( anything in specific I should be worried about?
They make so much noise, and so much salt spray. No way around it, it’s inherent in their design. They are also flimsy which isn’t inspiring but they are plenty strong. I have about 150gph or less running through one and it sounds like a small waterfall all the time. Single worst product I have ever used in the aquarium industry, and there are some really bad products out there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And that brings us to today. Bought a new house last June which needs renovations and after major negotiations with my wife managed to get approval to build an in-wall tank.

Discussion started with the plan to get the RSR 750 mounted in the wall but soon with the help of the architect it became “not feasible” so have to upgrade and get a new one ;)

Initial concept that got me excited:
1570773615951.jpeg

There was supposed to be a fish room behind but we settled with a peninsula-type design separating the living area from the tv-room, basically visible from both of the long sides.

Basic render looks like this from the living area:
1570773919282.png

And from the TV-room:
1570774161859.png

Not perfect but gives you an idea. Now as build approvals take forever in Australia I think by June 2020 the new tank should be up and running ... it’ll be a loooooong journey, which is not bad as provides plenty of time to plan properly and get all the new gear with time :)
beautiful layout !! Tank looking real nice !

OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They make so much noise, and so much salt spray. No way around it, it’s inherent in their design. They are also flimsy which isn’t inspiring but they are plenty strong. I have about 150gph or less running through one and it sounds like a small waterfall all the time. Single worst product I have ever used in the aquarium industry, and there are some really bad products out there.
I just found the thread, thanks for the heads-up, I guess I’ll have to give it a good try while I run my plumbing testing and replace it then, I still have some hope I can get it to work and not having to waste that money already spent :/

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found the thread, thanks for the heads-up, I guess I’ll have to give it a good try while I run my plumbing testing and replace it then, I still have some hope I can get it to work and not having to waste that money already spent :/
I wish you the best, hopefully you can find a good solution easily!

OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the overflow I made. It sticks out 2" into the aquarium. Here is a picture of it in action...after adding 8 bags of unrinsed sand. Lol

tapatalk_1565197958240.jpeg tapatalk_1565198008726.jpeg
Ohhhhh man, someone is ready to dive in that tank, here is my cat after he did exactly that .... first and last time he did it lol
1571809026085.jpeg

And great job with that overflow, you saved yourself some money there ... I may end up having to do the same, who knows.

OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Orpheks vs the Radions?

Apart of being paranoid after reading some post I actually love them, I need less amount of units, they are cheaper, they look nicer and after checking with my PAR meter I’m getting excellent readings .... corals reacted pretty well so I don't really have any issues, I just hope the LEDs last more than 2 years.

My experience with Radions isn’t great here in Australia, I have 4 units:
* one of them (XR15W Pro Gen3) stoped working after less than 2 years and they charged me a fortune to fix it, now it just failed again but I’m not willing to pay again so it’s just money lost
* One of my XR30W Pro Gen3, the green LED’s and half the blue ones stoped working after 2 years, I sent them back to get them fixed but according to them can’t be fixed because they are not making Gen 3 parts any longer
* And the other two are ok but I’ll just keep them as backup just in case

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures and following along now

I’m doing a similar build as well, at a similar stage, so it’s interesting to see how your doing things

OP
OP
widarecu

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures and following along now

I’m doing a similar build as well, at a similar stage, so it’s interesting to see how your doing things
That’s pretty cool, have fun :) , are you documenting your build as well?

BiGGiePauls33

YT/GreatBeardedReef and IG/GreatBeardedReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sooooo bad, to the point I find myself smuggling new toys for the tank everytime my wife is not home, or watching videos and reading posts endlessly discovering the next thing I'll improve .... it's a sickness!!! lol
No wife here, thankfully but I do have a 74 father and he thinks money is being wasted, lol. How can one waste money on this glorious hobby? Following along.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have the Synergy ones :( anything in specific I should be worried about?

It's just not very well designed in my opinion. Tends to be noisy if pushed towards its capacity. I personally much prefer the larger, single units from either Modular Marine or EMS.

Edit - I see you found the synergy thread .....

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how the modular marine design is any different?

Personally I think any overflow with teeth is a design flaw because it cuts the length of your effective overflow in half, thereby doubling the velocity of water but whatevs. That is the way it has been done in the past so that is the way it continues to be done.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back