Causes of sustained PO4 levels?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This shouldn’t/ won’t be a quick process, otherwise you will seriously stress and/or kill your sps. I had a similar situation with a mature tank, it took over 6 months of GFO and 10% weekly water changes to get it down and my PO4levels were half of yours... with high levels like you Have GFO can be spent in 24hrs and will need changing or it will leech PO4 back into your system... LaCl is another possibility... but the precipitate needs to be removed somehow... I used about 25Kg of GFO to get my levels down so it’s not going to be cheap...

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First @Swell, you stated that the water in your mixing tank has a PO4 reading of 0.018. That water shouldn't have any PO4 in it if it is what you are using for water changes. I would try to find the source of the PO4 in my new water first.

Then, as @Mortie31 stated, you need to go slow on reducing the PO4 in your DT. If you go to fast, you risk RTN/STN on your Acro's. There are a lot of products that will reduce your PO4, just do it gradually so that the PO4 can be released from your rocks and sand and you don't have a lot of fluctuation in the tank.

attilak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Becareful of dosing that Phosphat-E stuff. I know that others had success with it, but I did very low amount some time ago daily and over time it actually killed all my anemones. I have been battling Phosphates for some time and what greatly reduced PO4 for me was to put an Algae Scrubber on my system.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Phosphate that high Lanthanum would be a better choice.
Make sure to do it slowly into filter socks.
Dissolved in RO water & dripped slowly over a day is recommended.
Search on how to first so you know.

BPF42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was originally thinking maybe you nitrate and phosphates were out of balance. But that is not the case. How does everything look in your tank? How do your corals look?
I understand that there is no one perfect balance, but generally what is a good balance between nitrates and phosphates? The reason I ask is I am having an issue with hair algae and was wondering if the balance of these two parameters is off. My nitrates are 0 (since cycling was completed) and phosphates have been 0.02 to 0.05, although it increased to 0.10 after removing a lot of the hair algae. My tank is about a year and half old. Based on the amount of time I put in, the hair algae is not from neglect. Any thoughts you have would be very much appreciated.

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate reversibly binds to aragonite (our rock and sand). @jda ran an experiment a while back proving this, and it's a good read if you ever have some time on your hands.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that there is no one perfect balance, but generally what is a good balance between nitrates and phosphates? The reason I ask is I am having an issue with hair algae and was wondering if the balance of these two parameters is off. My nitrates are 0 (since cycling was completed) and phosphates have been 0.02 to 0.05, although it increased to 0.10 after removing a lot of the hair algae. My tank is about a year and half old. Based on the amount of time I put in, the hair algae is not from neglect. Any thoughts you have would be very much appreciated.

Nitrate 5-10, and Phosphate .03-.1 I would say is a good range.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals are doing ok, I agree with everyone else that you should make changes slowly. Good luck!!

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate reversibly binds to aragonite (our rock and sand). @jda ran an experiment a while back proving this, and it's a good read if you ever have some time on your hands.
Would you post a the link please, my rock is over 15 years old and my nitrates never go over 10 I have 2 algae scrubbers and a super over sized octopus skimmer and I use phosphate rx to bring it down but it comes right back up in a few days. Can I remove it from my rock without killing my coral?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you post a the link please, my rock is over 15 years old and my nitrates never go over 10 I have 2 algae scrubbers and a super over sized octopus skimmer and I use phosphate rx to bring it down but it comes right back up in a few days. Can I remove it from my rock without killing my coral?
My phosphates are always around. 7-1.0 btw

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I would go slow in bringing the phosphates down. Like slowly drip the phosphate rx into a filter sock, and let it bring the levels down over a period of time. Just beware, I've read that some fish may have bad reactions to the phosphate rx, i.e. tangs, so the slower the better.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert, but I would go slow in bringing the phosphates down. Like slowly drip the phosphate rx into a filter sock, and let it bring the levels down over a period of time. Just beware, I've read that some fish may have bad reactions to the phosphate rx, i.e. tangs, so the slower the better.

Thank you, I'll try adding a few drops a day and see if I can't get it to come down and stay down

TAL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck at bringing your phosphate down without damage to the corals and livestock.

I'd like to make a suggestion...any lanthium chloride product used to lower PO4- please do a water test (Triton preferred). LA CL can raise heavy metals. Triton Detox can be used.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck at bringing your phosphate down without damage to the corals and livestock.

I'd like to make a suggestion...any lanthium chloride product used to lower PO4- please do a water test (Triton preferred). LA CL can raise heavy metals. Triton Detox can be used.
OK thank you! I have a Triton test waiting to be filled and sent out, I'll do that today

TAL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send in your water samples after you are finished using the LaCl. Then you will know exactly what your heavy metals level is. Then you can treat with Detox for removal of the metals, or another product that will do the removal.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 76 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.2%
Back